We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landing in Milan in June- How far to Verona-

sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Landing in Milan in June- How far to Verona-

Hello there, I am travelling with my family to Italy in June 2014, for nearly six weeks.

We have travelled to Italy before but covered Rome/ Tuscany and stayed with family in the Abruzzo region. We like to travel slowly and enjoy the regions without trying to see everything.

This time we land in Milan, we like to stay in family/apartment style places for 5- 10 days per place and use this as a base to rest and see a few sights and really get a feel of the place.

Could anyone recommend where to go and stay from landing in Milan- would it be feasible to travel onto Verona? Is it too far from the Milan airport?

Or is there a smaller town from Milan that we should stay at like Belagio?? If we were to base ourselves in Verona for 5 days is there much to see? Is it far to the Lake Como district?( for day trips)

I am thinking we would proably pick up a hire car once in Verona/

Basically - where is a good place to start- as we know we need to finish in Rome to depart.

With thanks Virginia

Verona and Lake Garda Day Trip from...
126 reviews
from US$108.19*
Italian Cooking Class in Verona
38 reviews
from US$109.41*
Verona Walking Tour: Historical...
55 reviews
from US$54.70*
Special Offer
Verona Food Walking Tour
42 reviews
from US$82.06*
US$91.17
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,363 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Landing in Milan in June- How far to Verona-

Use Googlemaps for rough estimates of distance and time. Via Michelin may be more accurate timewise.

http://goo.gl/maps/NWLoI

Bellagio is a longish and winding drive around the lakes if you haven't driven in Italy before and it is not on a train line.

Where are you coming from to land at Milan?

Edited: 27 December 2013, 11:21
sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Landing in Milan in June- How far to Verona-

We are flying from Australia- I just saw Verona is 1.20 minute drive from Milan Thankyou

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,363 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Landing in Milan in June- How far to Verona-

Are you landing at Malpensa? There are other airports near Milan but I think that is the International one.

Personally, if this is right off the plane from Australia, think twice before driving. Take a train to Verona. www.trenitalia.com and click on the English flag. Milano Centrale to Verona Porto Nuovo.

sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Landing in Milan in June- How far to Verona-

Thankyou, that is good advice and had been thinking the same thing

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,036 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Landing in Milan in June- How far to Verona-

You really can't drive in the cities anyway - do read up on the rules/laws about driving in Italy; in some villages and the countryside, you will have more access but not in the cities, including Milan, Verona, Florence, Bologna, etc.

For some background on driving in Italy, do take a look at the link below:

roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

(hint: it's not just about driving in Rome)

sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Landing in Milan in June- How far to Verona-

Thankyou.

Would you recommend catching a train to Verona- than hiring a car from Verona?

We have hired a car before in Italy I know what you mean about not being able to drive in the cities.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Landing in Milan in June- How far to Verona-

Have you considered Garda Lake? It is near Verona and very nice.

8. Re: Landing in Milan in June- How far to Verona-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Verona