We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly car rental from verona airport

County Clare...
Level Contributor
50 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Firefly car rental from verona airport

Has anyone used firefly car rental from Verona airport ?

We have booked a car from Firefly through rentalcars.com which had the best price for a ford c-max or equivalent, €230 for 1 week - we have 2 toddlers travelling and need the space for car seats, buggies. However since we booked the car I have read a lot of very negative reviews for firefly car rental - being forced to pay for extra insurance, poor customer service , paying excessive fuel fees, etc etc but these negative reviews are from other airports.

We have rented cars abroad before and know the drill, check the car for dents, scratches etc and have the agents note them before leaving the airport, but there is so much bad press when I google Firefly.

I also phoned rentalcars.com and they have assured me they are a reputable company and if there is any problems to contact them.

Has anyone used Firely out of verona airport and had a positive experience ?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firefly car rental from verona airport

Most of the reviews for this company on TA are bad. Did you expect the agent at rentalcars.com to tell you they were a bad agency when you asked them? Of course they're going to say they are a good reputable company but, I think, the reviews speak for themselves. Aside from the reviews from people complaining about things that were their own fault (traffic tickets, not checking the car properly before leaving with it, not returning it full) they do have some issues. Mostly with insurance and the like.

If you can find something else with another company you might feel more at ease renting from someone else. If not, let us know how it goes.

donna

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,520 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Firefly car rental from verona airport

Check www.auto-europe.co.uk

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Firefly car rental from verona airport

Hi, with all the very bad reviews from all over Europe its just not worth renting from Firefly. We use www.auto-europe.co.uk 5/6 times a year without any problems, and have used both Maggiore and Hertz at Verona.

County Clare...
Level Contributor
50 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Firefly car rental from verona airport

We've contacted rentalcars.com and have booked a car with hertz instead - it's more expensive but for peace if mind I don't care. They asked why we wanted to change from Firefly and when I explained our concerns they said firefly was part of Hertz but I insisted on the change of company.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully we'll have no problems now

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,686 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Firefly car rental from verona airport

firefly IS a hertz company!

County Clare...
Level Contributor
50 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Firefly car rental from verona airport

That's what they said ! It's all part of the same company ?

County Clare...
Level Contributor
50 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Firefly car rental from verona airport

Firefly (car rental)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Firefly is a budget car rental brand owned by Hertz. It first opened in March 2013 with branches in Europe, with American branches following in September 2013.[1]

Hertz developed the new brand to replace Advantage Rent a Car which had to be sold following the acquisition of Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group.[2]

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Firefly car rental from verona airport

Just got back from Italy. We had a car booked through firefly which Thomas cook booked for us. we had the car voucher and they would not give us the car, my pertner was going to be the driver , not myself and both names on the voucher , they wouldnt except it. 2.5 hrs we were there , trting to sort it out . I had to call thomas cook on my mobile luckily someone answered and another voucher sent through via email, which the woman behind desk said was wrong , but gave us the car because she was scared i would complain, which I am going to , it ended up costing me an extra 85 euros. They could have given us the car in the first place, so now I am trying to get a refund. What ever you do dont go with FIrefly. the car we had was terrible, passenger window didnt work, which we found out following morning, so phoned them to report it , we had a great holiday but that was a bad start . . Thank goodness my partner spoke italian,

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,686 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Firefly car rental from verona airport

you will find that thomas cook were at fault. a car has to be driven by the person whose name is on the cc used to book. cooks were wrong to put the voucher in two names, and when they sent a new voucher, it was corrected. i doubt that the lady in firefly was "scared". more likely she was actually trying to help you.

you should seek refund of any extra charge from your travel agent who incorrectly booked it.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Firefly car rental from verona airport

Please do not use Firefly car rentals. The cars have seen better days at Hertz, and the lady who dealt with us at Verona actually said the cars were castoffs from Hertz. The oil light came on after about 20 mins driving and stayed on whenever we drove. We plugged our SatNav into the cigarette holder and there was no power, so we had to rely on hard copy maps. The front tyre didn't look fully inflated and there was no manual in the car. The car was described as silver on the key ring but was actually black with scratches, dents and bumps. I would hate to think that we had to do a lot of driving in this car. So be careful when going through rental procedures that you don't end up with a Firefly car.