We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I be happy in Verona (I'm 21)?

Which Verona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Will I be happy in Verona (I'm 21)?

Hi everyone!

I'm a 21yr old recent graduate and I've just been offered the opportunity to be an au pair in Verona for 6 months but I'm not sure whether I should accept or wait for another offer, perhaps Venice or even rome.

I've been to Italy a few times before (Rome, Sorrento, Umbria, Florence) but never Veneto and it seems lovely. Just so yous get a sense of what I'm like, I really love the outdoors and the countryside, I come from a small village in Ireland where everyone knows everyone so I'm very sociable, I prefer bars and pubs over clubs, I want to work in theatre eventually and love anything that involves theatre, history and art (which is why I chose Italy). Also my budget is 100 euros a week and I want to travel to other cities.

Basically my problem is that despite the city having a university, I can't find out much information online about what Verona is like for young people and anything I have found has suggested that it's not the best. I'm scared I'll be lonely or bored if I go there so please tell me that I'm wrong!

Thanks in advance :)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I be happy in Verona (I'm 21)?

Wow, what an amazing opportunity! If I were a 21-year-old and had the chance to spend six months in Verona I would jump at it.

Verona is a beautiful city, quite compact and easily walkable, but for a small city there's a massive amount of stuff to see and do.

www.italyheaven.co.uk/veneto/verona.html

walksofitaly.com/blog/…day-trip-verona-italy

You will love the designer stores on Via Mazzini.

Verona is a great hub for travelling to other places. You mentioned liking the outdoors - the south of Lake Garda is a 15-20 minute train ride from Verona and you can go hiking, cycling, parasailing, windsurfing etc.

By train from Verona you can get to Venice, Milan, Mantua, Padua, Bologna, Vicenza....

This is an old thread but may be of use:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187871-i409-k21…

Milan, Italy
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I be happy in Verona (I'm 21)?

Au pair means you will live with your host family, right? That's great and it will help you a lot.

Let's get to the point: like most north italian cities, Verona is not a town where you make new friends anytime you hit a pub. This doesn't mean you will be lonely and desperate: there are lots of events and opportunities especially regarding nature, hiking, traditions. There are groups of young people (can't find a decent link, sorry) trying to rediscover folk music and folk dances (including irish ones), they have folk music parties going on every weekend. There are hiking, cycling groups. Nature around Verona is amazing.

My tip is to be proactive and informed about events: you'll fall in love with the city!

3. Re: Will I be happy in Verona (I'm 21)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 06:16