We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear to the opera

Bucks
Level Contributor
3 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear to the opera

We have gold seats to see Aida as it was my Christmas present. I have a black knee length dress with a stole. Is this OK as I do not have any long dresses? Also, is my husband OK with a lounge suit?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,061 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear to the opera

I was in Verona a couple of weeks ago. I did not go to the opera, but I spent a lot of time watching people going in. They were wearing everything from evening gowns to micro-shorts, so wear whatever you like. Of course I don't know whether the micro-shorts, T-shirts with silly slogans and torn jeans were going to the gold seats, but I am sure a black knee-length dress for you and a lounge suit for your husband will be absolutely fine. I mean, really, how many people take formal evening wear when they go on holiday?

Edited: 03 July 2014, 09:35
Bucks
Level Contributor
3 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear to the opera

Thank you for replying Shuffaluff (love the name!), we had a great time and would seriously recommend the experience. Not sure what would happen if it rained?!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,061 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear to the opera

Glad you enjoyed it. Here's a funny thing. I sat in the park outside, expecting to hear some sounds of opera. I heard announcements ("Ladies and gentlemen, please take your seats, turn off your cellphones..." and so on, loud and clear in four languages, but I didn't hear a single note of Carmen. I went back later, and heard the announcements again: "The intermission is ending..." but again I didn't hear any opera. I don't know how that is possible.

Bucks
Level Contributor
3 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear to the opera

I wondered if you could hear it outside too. Nice to know the answer!

Italy
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear to the opera

It is possible because ancient Romans were amazing sound engineers!

lancs
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear to the opera

It used to be the rule that if it rained and they had completed the first act, you didn't get your money back; but nowadays its if its started , you don't.

The first drops of rain and they are off the stage/ orchestra ;which is fair eno9ugh because obviously the stage gets slippery and the instruments are very expensive..That said, they do their level best to complete it, even if it means stopping and starting, uinless as happens occasionally it begins to get silly.

manchester
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear to the opera

Hi. We went to the opera ten days ago to see Carmen, loved every minute of it (came out at 1 am). We sat in the numbered seats near the gold seats and saw people dressed from very smart to casual and not very many in formal dinner suits or evening dress. You will need a wrap as the evening can go cooler.

I think the reason you cannot hear the opera outside of the arena is that The announcements are made over the public address system but the performance is not amplified and uses the natural acoustics of the arena.

Enjoy your evening.

8. Re: What to wear to the opera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Verona