We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nardo & Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Nardo & Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti

I will be traveling to to this location in September. I would like any information about Nardo, Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti (our accomodations), and the surrounding area. I have found Nardo on the map but not the specific location of Torre Inserraglio-I tramonti. I'd like to know where this accomodation is located. Can anyone recommend good resturants in the area? Is there anything to do or see in Nardo? We have a car and want to travel around. What are some recommended sights. What will the weather be like toward the end of September?

Thanks for any help.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Nardo & Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti

I don't know Nardo' itself very well, but the area is lovely. Lecce, Otranto and Gallipoli are all within very easy driving distance, as are lots of nice places on the coast. In fact, as you'll have a car you could just drive along the coast a bit - the Ionian coast north of Gallipoli has some lovely areas (Porto Cesareo), and in fact, I've just looked and that's where Torre Inserraglio is (just south of Porto Cesareo, just above Nardo' on the coast). It's nice on the opposite coast south of Otranto as well.

The weather at the end of Sept should still be pretty warm, although it can depend a bit. I've got sunburnt in the middle of October in Lecce, but if it stays really hot it can get stormy. Whether it's warm enough to swim depends on you a bit - the locals probably won't think it is!

Lecce, Italy
Level Contributor
17 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: Nardo & Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti

Hello Georgia,

your choise is the best, in fact for me it is the best area of Salento - Apulia. This resort is located in heart of the natural park of Portoselvaggio, an unspoilt area where you could enjoy the fantastic blue of the Ionian sea and the pure mediterrean scrub. Otherwise you could easily visit the rest of Salento and its historical sites. For further info and pictures visit www.sispropertyandtourism.co.uk where you can get more about tramonti and that area. Luigi

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Nardo & Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti

Vickie2005 & LuigiS, thank you for that information. I was wondering if you could recommend good resturants in the area. Also, would it be possible to snorkel somewhere around Porto Cesareo or Nardo areas. And, could you help me with the pronouncation of L-e-c-c-e? My husband and I have a disagreement on this. This summer I studied some Italian and hope I'm able to say several phrases.

We do plan to play golf at the Acaya Golf Hotel and do a driving/sightseeing tour from Nardo down to Cape Santa Maria di Leuca then up to Lecce and back to Nardo. So hopefully, we'll be in Lecce at least twice. Any suggestions on anything will be helpful.

Thanks again for your help.

Lecce, Italy
Level Contributor
17 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: Nardo & Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti

Hello Georgia!

Have You enjoyed your holiday to Salento? Can you write a brief feedback of your holiday?

Have good time

Luigi

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Nardo & Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti

Ah LuigiS, the Salento-Apulia region is beautiful! The weather in late September was perfect everyday. Our accomodations at the Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti were very good and their English-speaking employee was an invaluable asset to us. Since it was late September many places were closed, but we expected some of that. The sea was still warm enough for swimming but the pool was very, very cold as they kept adding underground water everyday. We had a very good English-speaking tour of the Caves of de Castellana. We enjoyed a round of golf at the Acaya Golf Club, which was very beautiful and interesting. We did a driving sight-seeing tour of Gallipoli, Leuca and the Cape Santa Maria di Leuca, Castro and the Grottos of Zinzulusa, on over to Otranto for a quick look of the fort and castle, then to Torre Dell Orso for the beaches, then finally to Lecce to see many of the interesting and lovely sites. Driving in the region was a challenge to begin with. The food and wine of the region was simple but good. The folks very kind, understanding and patient to be helpful. We LOVED ITALY!

Mt. Sinai, NY
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Nardo & Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti

I will be travelling to Florence and then Milan with a group of about 40 soccer moms and 16 year old girls to play in the Valtellina Cup, in July 2008. I am being afforded the opportunity to leave a week earlier, (prior to Milan), but, to the Nardo area, at the Residence Portoselvaggio. I am wondering, if anyone can tell me, is it worthwhile to travel to Nardo first? We will be 2 moms and 1 16 year old. We have never been to Italy. This is our first time and we speak very little Italian. I am just not sure, after hearing many horror stories about the driving over there, if it is worthwhile or not to stay in Nardo for 5 approx. days before meeting our group in Milan. Also, How long would it take to go from Nardo to Milan. What would be the least expensive/interesting means of travel? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help,

Lisa

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Nardo & Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti

Hi NYPDXCOP,

I'm GeorgiaDarlin. We were there September 2005. I'm not familar with Residence Portoselvaggio, but we stayed in an RCI Timeshare in Nardo for about 1 week. This is an area of Italy that is not usually for American tourist. Our timeshare had only 1 English-speaking employee. We had a Cave tour with an English-speaking guide but otherwise you are looking at only Italian. We spoke very little Italian ourselves but felt comfortable. People are very helpful and patient to understand. You will HAVE to drive in the area. There are no other means of transportation available. But, driving is not all that bad. Since you are in a less populated area you get to pratice with little risk. All cities are a bit difficult to go through. But, the area is just gorgeous. At our Condo, they have their own restaurants and grocery store. Our beach was a boardwalk with a concerte ramp to the Sea. The Sea area was netted-off for safety. We bought our groceries and ate mostly at the Condo. We drove all over the place. There are so many beautiful views and cities to see. From Venice we flew into Brindisi, rented the car, drove everywhere then returned the car to Taranto, took the train to Rome. I would advise to fly to Milan. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more information.

Jane in Georgia

Mt. Sinai, NY
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Nardo & Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti

Thanks Georgia. I appreciate you taking the time. I will have to think on this I guess.

Lisa Nonnenmann,

Mt. Sinai, NY

9. Re: Nardo & Torre Inserraglio-I Tramonti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 16:19