We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base area to explore Puglia???

alabama
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Base area to explore Puglia???

We will have 3 nights and days in Puglia in March and were looking for a base to do day trips(likely to Matera, lecce, and the Trulli country. Mottola and Massafra seem to be centrally located. Any experience as to the pros and cons of these towns for our base. We will be traveling by auto and would prefer not to be in new lodging every night. Would certainly welcome other suggestions.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,486 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base area to explore Puglia???

If you wish to stay in one place then IMO it is a question that few people can answer, if any. Only you know what you like or how you feel about places it so it is difficult to answer.

Personally I would always stay in a place that I wanted to be in not because it is "mathematically" in a good position to visit other places.

I like the sea so I would have chosen somewhere on the coast near Ostuni (surprised it is not on your list)

It is about an hour from Lecce, less to Alberobello but a good 2hrs from Matera and about half an hour from Martina Franca

Martina Franca (timewise) probably right in the middle between Matera and Lecce. Less than half an hour to Alberobello and 40mins or so to Ostuni

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base area to explore Puglia???

The suggestions by giftzweg are very good, and we are staying near Ostuni next summer ourselves. One other consideration is if you wish to be in a town by the Adriatic, then you might wish to look at towns like Monopoli and Polignano a Mare. VRBO,com and Homeaway.com have many rental apartments in both towns and you are right on the beach/cliff with excellent access to restaurants, and transportation while being central to what you want to see.

UK
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base area to explore Puglia???

My suggestion would be you visit Matera en route from Naples and then head for the area around Ostuni where there are some excellent Masserias. Use this as your base to visit the "Trulli country" and Lecce which are all within easy reach. Because you are visiting in March I wouldn't stay in a coastal resort as many places may well still be closed - we visited Polignano a Mare in October 2009 and found it dead.

From what we saw of Mottola and Massafra we thought the area too heavily industrialised to encourage us to stop but others may say we missed something.

Lecce, Italy
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Base area to explore Puglia???

ciao,

if you specifically like valle d'Itria the you have to stay in Locorotondo, it is fantastic and then you can drive easily to Alberobello, Grotte di Castellana, Cisternino, Ostuni and Martina Franca. If you are in Ostuni, be back in the night to Alberobello or viceversa is hard... so tehre is perfect!

Lecce is an other tour and itinerary...

Lecce, Italy
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Base area to explore Puglia???

From Lecce you better drive South: Galatina, Otranto, Supersano, Gallipoli and, of course the tour of the coast!

Stay in town has some advantages but also a B&B right in the middle of Salento may offer some advantages if you don't care of staying in a lively place.

alabama
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Base area to explore Puglia???

Thanks to all for the advise. I think we will stay in the ostuni area and explore from there. Great insight and suggestions! Thanks

Montreal
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Base area to explore Puglia???

We will also be in Puglia for one week in September. We are planning on renting an appartment and are not really sure where to rent. We are a couple, not planning to rent a car, so we will depend on public transportation for our visits.

Some of the places we really want to see are Giovinazzo, Barletta and Alberobello.

We were thinking of renting in Bari. Is it the best place for us ?

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,486 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Base area to explore Puglia???

Jano

Around Puglia I personally would seriously think about a car. September a very nice time of year. Crowds are gone but weather still great.

You might want to check out a website like www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

One of the biggest (if not the biggest) independant owners property website in Europe. You will find many independantly owned/private second properties for rent. This website has other sister sites from other countries so not just "UK" or UK based owners.

From my experience privately owned properties as second homes tend to be better furnished/equipped. Very often in Italy locally or company holiday rentals which are not peoples second homes are very basically furnished and people are looking solely to maximise their holiday income.

Edited: 13 February 2011, 18:04
Montreal
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Base area to explore Puglia???

Thank you for your reply. I will check the website you suggested.

10. Re: Base area to explore Puglia???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2012, 05:23