We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions on places to visit?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
260 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Any suggestions on places to visit?

Specifically we will be leaving Bari for Matera, and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on interesting small towns between those cities. I'm planning on visiting Altamura because as I understand it, they make the best bread in the country. I'm determined to try some. But since we do not travel for (by) bread alone we need a place to stay for the night that might have something of interest to see or a great restaurant for dinner, spectacular view, a choice of hotels would be good.

Travel guides are really devoid of much information on southern Italy, especially the small towns.

Mentioned in this post
Bari
Bari
Province of Bari, Italy
Matera
Matera
Province of Matera, Italy
Altamura
Altamura
Province of Bari, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
scotland
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestions on places to visit?

Hi,

We went round Puglia last October and stayed in Taranto on the last night on the way back to Bari. It was really just a stop to break the journey but ended up a great day and night. We had a sat nav which led us straight to the door of the Europe hotel in the old town, it looks over the harbour and old fort. Great shopping at night up the main street about 2 blocks from hotel. Fab restaurant out the door of hotel and next street on left, Taranto is famous for fish and shellfish. Also fab chocolate and cake shop just outside.

If you have time Lecce further south is magnificent and worth a visit,its called the Florence of the south and has a wonderful buzz, amazing sights.

Hope that helps.

Anne

Mentioned in this post
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Taranto
Taranto
Province of Taranto, Italy
Bari
Bari
Province of Bari, Italy
Lecce
Lecce
Province of Lecce, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestions on places to visit?

If you mean just between Bari and Matera, then no, other than the ristorante Per Bacco (via Abbrescia 99) in Bari. Day trips to Polignano a Mare and the great fish restaurant Da Tuccino (via S. Caterina 69/F) and on to Monopoli to eat more seafood at Lido Bianco (via Procaccia 3) makes for a wonderful day on the Adriatic.

Another day trip would be to see the Trullis in Alberobello and dine on the Piazza del Popplo at the restaurant Miseriaenobilta (www.miseriaenobiltaweb.it). From there you can go on to Martina Franca with its mixture of baroque and rococo architecture and dine at Ciacco (www.ristoranteciacco.it) then back to Matera. Hope this helps, I recommend all of the restaurants highly.

Mentioned in this post
Bari
Bari
Province of Bari, Italy
Matera
Matera
Polignano a Mare
Polignano a Mare
Province of Bari, Italy
Da Tuccino
Da Tuccino
1,016 Reviews
Polignano a Mare, Italy
Monopoli
Monopoli
Province of Bari, Italy
Lido Bianco
Lido Bianco
396 Reviews
Monopoli, Italy
Alberobello
Alberobello
Province of Bari, Italy
Martina Franca
Martina Franca
San Francisco
Level Contributor
260 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestions on places to visit?

MikeRyherd, I had to laugh at your restaurant recommendations as they are perfect for me...I'm planning much of the trip using Fred Plotkin's book Italy for the Gourmet Traveler! That's why I'm going to Altamura for bread and am considering Andria home to Burrata cheese. A day along the Adriatic sounds good and Monopoli appears to be close enough to pull off. I'll need to recheck the map for Polignano a Mare. We've already visited Alberobello and did not, unfortunately, go to a memorable restaurant.

Thanks too for your input, ikins36, we've been to Lecce, but is too far for this particular trip, but agree it is a beautiful city and well worth the travel it takes to get there. While Taranto is further than I was thinking about, it would be an easy drive on A-14 to get there and your description makes it very tempting. We could always go to altamura as a daytrip from Matera. I was under the impression Taranto was very industrialized, so never considered it before. Thank you again, both of you for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Altamura
Altamura
Province of Bari, Italy
Andria
Andria
Province of Barletta-Andria-Trani, Italy
Monopoli
Monopoli
Province of Bari, Italy
Polignano a Mare
Polignano a Mare
Province of Bari, Italy
Alberobello
Alberobello
Province of Bari, Italy
Lecce
Lecce
Province of Lecce, Italy
Taranto
Taranto
Matera
Matera
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestions on places to visit?

Vidadoro:

When my son and daughter in law (also a Vida) join us in Ostuni in the summer of 2012 we will be using Christine Smallwood's "An Appetite for Puglia" as our dining bible. Beside the bread of Altamura, watch for the giant red, green and black Cerignola olives native to the town of Cerignola which is northwest of Bari. Have a wonderful time discovering places, people and great food! Mike

Mentioned in this post
Ostuni
Ostuni
Province of Brindisi, Italy
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Altamura
Altamura
Province of Bari, Italy
Cerignola
Cerignola
Province of Foggia, Italy
Bari
Bari
Province of Bari, Italy
Torre San Giovanni...
Level Contributor
5,583 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggestions on places to visit?

Hi,

if you can get more down to Bari, Brindisi and reach at least to or Lecce, then, yes, your holiday would be complete.

I recommend the Salento, so you're easy on the move between the Ionian and Adriatic coast.

There are many small and beautiful villages in the hinterland of the province of Lecce, rich in art (Baroque), culture, traditions, crafts and lots of good food.

For the countries of the sea I recommend: Gallipoli, Ugento Marine, Marine Hi, Leuca, everything jonio and then back on the Adriatic sea from Leuca Tricase, of course, Andrano, Castro, Otranto, Santa Cesarea Terme.

Small inland towns and small are very characteristic: Felline, Specchia, Presicce, Taurisano, Castiglione.

Each country is famous in her small and differs from the others, however, something typical.

Mentioned in this post
Bari
Bari
Province of Bari, Italy
Brindisi
Brindisi
Province of Brindisi, Italy
Salento
Salento
Puglia, Italy
Province of Lecce
Province of Lecce
Puglia, Italy
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Ugento
Ugento
Province of Lecce, Italy
Tricase
Tricase
Province of Lecce, Italy
Castro
Castro
Province of Lecce, Italy
Otranto
Otranto
Province of Lecce, Italy
Santa Cesarea Terme
Santa Cesarea Terme
Province of Lecce, Italy
Specchia
Specchia
Province of Lecce, Italy
Presicce
Presicce
Province of Lecce, Italy
6. Re: Any suggestions on places to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 19:15