We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puglia in September

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Puglia in September

Have booked flights into Naples and return from Bari for 11 nights on 11 September.

1. Any tips on car rental

2. Thinking of spending maybe 5 nights in Gargano national park and then moving further south to see the towns incl. Lecce - good suggestions for further stay/s of either 6 nights or another 4nts and 2nts.

Thanks

London, England
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puglia in September

I've rented dozens of times in Puglia, from Bari or Brindisi, (as well as airports further north, albeit not Naples), driven your route several times and envy you your plan; Returning to Q 1; we've had good experience with two renters: Hertz and www.carhire3000.com

You won't be able to get our cheap hire rate with Hertz via the Ryanair website link, as they don't fly Naples, so compare others' rates with those of my other favourite broker; www.carhire3000.com. They've never let me down or ripped me off, and they use mainstream companies like AVIS and ...

Because they are based in Manchester in the UK, you can ring em up and be reassured you're not giving your credit card to an internet cowboy. A locally applied extra charge - PROBAbly around 40 Euros - will apply for a different drop off point, but this is routine. While basic insurance is always included in the quoted renatl cost, it's usual that an excess charge of 500-1k Euros will apply if you're unlucky enough to have a bump or incur glass or tyre damage. Research a cheaper alternative to the cover which the renatl company will pressure-sell you on pick-up, as this is likely to be expensive:- from 7-20 Euros a day.

insurance4carhire.com do cheap muilti-trip insurance for this excess and you can get others - both single and multi-trip, from comparison sites or the web.

2. I'll let others say more, but...

Gargano's lovely- and with its cliffs, forested interior and wooded walks, very different from the low rocky coasts and ancient olives on the coastal plains between Bari and Brindisi, and the low rolling uplands of the limestone 'trulli-country' of the Vale D'Itria inland from there (which we love and which are all en-route to Lecce).

You might not need a whole 5 nights on the Gargano, so other stopovers might include

- Polignano a Mare (serch TA for many other posts- we like casamare BeB)

- an inland city like Martina Franca. martinafrancatour.it/inglese/introduzione.asp Check past posts via the search-bar above. Stay in a 'BeB' - a self-catering apartment right in the 'centro storico' - the old centre; deserted except by rare groups of tourists by day when everything closes from 1-5pm - lively with locals by night. Eat in Sagittario; a rough n ready local family restaurant

- Lecce itself- not so good to drive in

- - Otranto, on the coast- or, further south- at sleepy Santa Maria di Leuca; Italy's 'lands end'

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puglia in September

Agree with Alexmac's post, but not all rental companies charge an extra fee for one way drop-off. I've used AutoEurope which also brokers lots of rental companies (I think I've been given budget before), and I've not been charged a fee for different drop off's, though I picked up in Brindisi and returned for Bari ... which is somewhat closer than Naples! I've not had a bad experience with them! I've used insurance4hirecars before but you could also check out intasure who I've found competitive: https:/… My worst rental experience (not in Puglia) was with easycar - lots of hidden extras for a ski trip to Switz.

The Salento is gorgeous so worth a few days at least. my advice, stay central and visit both coasts during the day.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
703 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puglia in September

Just returned from 10 days in Puglia and 4 days in Calabria. Rented from www.carhire3000.com. Picked up car in Rome and drove to Peschici (Gargano Pennisula) and then Acaya (outside of Lecce) and dropped car off at Lamezia Airport in Calabria. 45 euro drop fee. Excess insurance coverage was half the cost of buying directly from Car Rental Agency. We were brokered to Avis. Excess insurance cost 220euro thru Avis and 80 euro thru carhire3000. Car rental price was better than most other brokers. But still worth it to shop around.

We spent 5 days in Peschici on the Gargano Pennisula at a B&B, Gli Orti di Malva. Absolutely incredible. http://www.gliortidimalva.it/ & at www.italytraveller.com/en/z/gli-orti-di-malva

Recommend it highly. It is associated with a wonderful restaurant Porta di Basso in Peschici. You can check out reviews on TA for Porta di Basso.

In Acaya we stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton. Large American style hotel with lots of amenities, but not much charm. Conveniently located near Lecce and for travel along the Salento coast. We drove south to Otranto, Santa Maria di Leuce and then back to Galiopli one day. Very nice drive, great scenery. It is about 90 minutes to Alberobello, about 2 hours to Matera. In Acaya there are 3 family run restaurants. All very good serving local food.

4. Re: Puglia in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 09:40