We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question regarding family holiday in Puglia

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Question regarding family holiday in Puglia

Hi All

We are considering a 2 week family trip to Puglia in late May/early June, possibly to also incorporate a bit of time in Basilicata and/or Calabria. So, I am sure I will have plenty of questions to ask over time.

However, initially I have one question, relating to my children. They both love swimming, so we are keen to find a house or villa for half of the holiday, at least, with a swimming pool. Bearing in mind the time of year, do you think we would need to have a heated pool, or would an unheated pool be sufficient? I know that no one can guarantee the weather, but just general opinions would be great, thank you!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question regarding family holiday in Puglia

Unheated.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question regarding family holiday in Puglia

I agree, it should be fine.

Martina Franca...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question regarding family holiday in Puglia

Wow, used to live in Ipplepen just down the road from you but now here in Martina Franca. If your children swim in Devon in the sea they will have no problems here either in a pool or in the sea by early June. We established with a similar question a few months ago that heated in the main only meant a solar blanket which requires the sun to warm the pool anyway. If you are up here in the Valle d'Itria remember we are 420 metres or 1.200 feet up so cooler evenings even then, best to bring jumpers. The sea in Calabria will be warmer you will find. Regards Mike

http://hereinpuglia.wordpress.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Question regarding family holiday in Puglia

Hello! Glad to hear you chose Puglia for your holiday! I'm from Puglia myself, and I can suggest you to look for a villa in Torre dell' Orso. There are beautiful villas in front of the sea and the beach is beautiful with very fine sand. Being a bay, the water is almost always calm, low waves.

Perfect for your children!

I wish you the best holiday! <3

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question regarding family holiday in Puglia

Hmmm...sorry I hadn't thanked you for your replies, but I didn't get my usual email prompt from TA!

Anyway, thank you! Mike - how funny that you were so close in Ipplepen - we are actually in Denbury, so very close! It must be lovely over there to take you away from this beautiful area, but then the weather has a certain charm in Italy that our weather doesn't have!! As well as many other charms, of course. I must admit, I am finding it extremely difficult to choose between Puglia, Calabria and Basilicata, as they all seem to offer so much that it is hard to know where to start! We want somewhere a bit off the beaten track (ie off the main tourist trails) - they all tick that. We want history, culture and great food - they all tick those. We want beautiful coastline and beaches - they all tick those! Basilicata and Calabria seem to offer the more interesting landscapes, with mountains and national parks, which we like a lot, but Puglia seems a little less wild, which might suit a family with two youngish children (10 and 7). So, all in all it is proving to be a tough decision! Maybe I should just stick with Sicily! Having said all that, thank you for your advice Mike.

Thanks for your idea, Anna. We normally try to find a villa not too close to a town, especially if the town is a touristy one. Correct me if I'm wrong, that although Torre dell' Orso is in a lovely situation, it is pretty touristy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Question regarding family holiday in Puglia

Hello!! If you're thinking to visit Puglia late May/early June... Torre dell'Orso will be a paradise for the few(It got just less than 100 residents). The summer season usually begins in mid-June, early July (I know, a bit late!)

But, if you like something even less touristic, check TORRE SANT'ANDREA DI MELENDUGNO.

I found this website, it might be useful (??)

http://www.bbplanet.com/apartments/sant'andrea-di-melendugno/.

If you need any help, drop me a line! :)

Anna

Martina Franca...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question regarding family holiday in Puglia

Yes we love it here. Perhaps a quote "That which is past is gone and irrevocable, and wise men have enough to do with things present and to come."FRANCIS BACON, so leave Sicily and try somewhere new ! As you say Puglia hits all the spots . We often go up to the Alta Murgia for walking so you have it all !

http://www.parcoaltamurgia.gov.it/uk/

Cheers

Mike

http://hereinpuglia.wordpress.com/

8. Re: Question regarding family holiday in Puglia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 05:16