We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salento Peninsula - good base without car

London, England
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Salento Peninsula - good base without car

I am travelling from Rome to lecce tomorrow and don't know where is a good town to be based. I can stay in Lecce or carry on travelling to another destination. I'm looking to visit towns and beaches but mostly relax for a few days and I only want to use public transport or even walk or rent a bicycle if need be, could anyone help.

I think Lecce, Otranto and Gallipoli are all must see places.

Many thanks

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salento Peninsula - good base without car

I would stay in Lecce and use the bus service to towns on both Adriatic and Ionian coasts.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salento Peninsula - good base without car

Lecce is a good basis if you want to explore the Salento area and don't have a car.

Melbourne, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salento Peninsula - good base without car

Hello There,

I only saw your request today so I may be a bit late Lecce is beautiful and abounds with B & B's you could also try staying in some of the smaller towns and immerse yourself in village life. I usually go to Corigliano d'Otranto but am staying put in Australia this year. There is La Notte Della Taranta Festival happening in the towns of the Grecia Salentina at this time with the final night in Melpignano on the 23 or 24th AUGUST. There is a daily bus service from Corigliano that takes you to Laghi Alimini Beach and the town is serviced by train as well. I love the little town and its gorgeous people. Lots of people there that I know have Bed and Breakfasts at very reasonable prices and there is something happening in the piazza most summer evenings. Let me know if you are still interested and I can send you some names of where I have stayed.

Cheers

London, England
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salento Peninsula - good base without car

Hi. Thanks for replying. Well I arrived in lecce today. It's lovely. Tomorrow I will get a bus to torre del'orso for a day I the beach. It's stunning I hear.

Then tomorrow night in lecce. Not sure where to go on Monday because I'm paying 80 euros a night and its well above my budget as I'm hoping to be away a while longer. Maybe I should stay nearer the coast as its an hour plus bus ride to the nicer beaches from lecce.

I like the sound of Cirigliano, so maybe you can give me some b and b's.

so, I enjoy beaches and a bit of sightseeing and also a bit of nightlife. Would even like to experience the summer party's on the beach. They sound fun.

Anymore suggestions would be great.

Many thanks

5. Re: Salento Peninsula - good base without car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 06:19