We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any input to locations welcome

Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Any input to locations welcome

I have been planning a trip to Puglia and I find it very confusing on where to stay. So far I have 4 nights in Otranto and 4 in Ostuni and am not sure if I am making a good choice. We want to see other areas and hope these two locations will be good areas from where to base. Now I am looking into changing Otranto to Monopoli and not sure if that is a good choice. This choice is based on a hotel selection. Please advise any thoughts. thanks.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any input to locations welcome

Maureen

I have just come back from Puglia - weather very disappointing but warmed up nicely now. One piece of advice I must give you - stick to the main roads! - the minor roads, especially in the area south of Brindisi, are terrible. Driving through towns around Lecce is a nightmare though Lecce itself is lovely. We found the best beaches were driving west from Porto Cesare, which is a nice resort with plenty of eating places. It's a nice drive from Ostuni to the Trulli town of Alborabella, which is fine for an afternoon's visit.

Regards

Brisbane
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any input to locations welcome

Last September we spent four nights at Trulli IsAgo near Locorotondo. From there we did day trips to Matera, Ostuni, Leece, Castellana Grotte (we stopped here on the way from Polignano a Mare) as well as exploring the surrounding towns of Alberobello, Martina Franca and Locorotondo. We parked on the outskirts of Lecce and had to walk about 15 minutes into town. We asked some school students for advice and they helped us find our way. If we knew we had to travel trhough a town we tried to time it so that occurred around siesta so that there were no cars around and if we made a mistake it wasn't a big issue. I think it depends on what you want from the places you stay. We liked being in a self contained apartment in the middle of grape vines and trulli after 2 weeks of being in crowds in northern Italy but others may want to have night life and restaurants just outside. Good luck finalising your plans. Puglia is a great place to visit

3. Re: Any input to locations welcome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 05:16