We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Info. in Bari

New London...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car Info. in Bari

We will be arriving in Bari via rail from Rome approximately mid-afternoon on a Sunday. Will I have any problems renting a car at that time of the day on a Sunday? How far away from the train station are the rental car companies ? Which companies are best to do business with in Italy. Is finding a car with an automatic shift a big problem ?

Thanks, ljs.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Info. in Bari

I alwas use Hertz in Southern Italy- maybe not the cheapest, but always reliable, and in over 30 rentals, they've never ripped me off with fake damage charges or fuelling extras (assuming you returnthe car with a full tank). The good news is that the Hertz website (at least the Hertz.co.uk 'British' version)is really helpful as it has a facility to list hours, adresses and (I think) map locations. The bad news is that this reveals the three Bari town centre offices are closed Sundays. But the airport office is open- so you might be into a 10km cab ride if you can't find another rental company on Google who open Sundays.

And a tip- if you do use hertz, go via the 'cheap car hire' link on the www.ryanair.com website. This often gives you a cheaper, unlimited mileage rate with basic insurance included. You don't even have to fly Ryanair. Although they do internal flights between Italian cities, such as Pisa, Bologna and Bari they are not user-friendly to Yanks as they limit you to 15 kilos of luggage (and they charge you 0 bucks a piece for this) plus 10kg of free carry-on (is my prejudice showing? We use them all the time but stick to 10kilos so fly really cheap)

And finally, an automatic is less common, but no problem- as most hire cars are manual, you probably have to pay more- anything up to double in my experience. So start practicing wiggling that shifty stick!

Ciao

New London...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Info. in Bari

Alexmac....thanks for your help. It looks like Ryanair is the way to go, a few others have recommended them for car rental also.

It looks like the city center is out and I will have to go to the airport to rent. Will I have a problem getting a cab at the train station on Sunday? How much will a cab be to the airport? I'm trying not to carry alot of cash around, if you know what I mean. What are your thoughs on a Italy Eurail Pass? We will be using the railroad on 3 different days within a 2 week period. I can get a 1st class saver-pass for $225.00 ea.

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
139 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Info. in Bari

We will run into the same problem next May.....arriving after the car rental places close. We decided to spend the night in Bari at Hotel Zodicus and then get our car from autoeurope the next morning after walking around old Bari. The car place is very near the train station and the hotel is just a few blocks away. What train are you taking from Rome that gets you in mid afternoon? The only one I seem to find that we can make after flying in is the train at 1400 and arrives in Bari at 1815.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Info. in Bari

It might be worth you posting the query about rail ticketing as a fresh question on the Italy (not the Bari)forum. I can't really help on either point from personal experience as we always drive from Bari or Brindisi airports, and even next month when we next visit the area we will be flying on from our Bologna stopover (yeah - you guessed it- on Ryanair, and for less than 30 Euros!).

But as regards cabs- to quote the destination guide which you can find for many cities on the Ryanair website-

'Bari’s International Airport is located

around 11 km from the city centre. The

local city bus (Amtab bus 16) gets you into

the city for €0,77 (from 05.00 to 23.00,

every 60 minutes) or you can catch the

Tempesta bus company shuttle to the rail

station (ticket: €4,15, every hour). Taxis

cost around €20-€25.

Phone: +39 080 5800200

Internet: www.seap-puglia.it

And as regards rail and the pros and cons of tickets- try looking at the wonderful independent rail expert site www.seat61.com

New London...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Info. in Bari

sealights99.... just double checked the train schedule again the train we would probably take from Rome gets into Bari slightly after noon, at 12:14 p.m.

Also just checked where Peaks Island is in Maine, near the Portland area, sounds like a nice place. We used to make a stop in Portland on our way to Liberty, Me., our friends have a place on the lake we go to every fall.

Thanks for your info. LJS.

New London...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car Info. in Bari

Alexmac... thanks for your input. www.seat61.com is a great website. Alot of info. there.

Thanks for your info on taxis and buses also. LJS

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
139 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car Info. in Bari

LJS

Thank you....unfortunately our plane does not arrive till 7:55 so I had not looked at traiins earlier than 1200. Where are you staying in Puglia? Is this your first time there? It will be our first to Puglia but third to Italy. from there onto a week in Umbria and then 5 nights in Rome. It is always hard to leave the island especially when the gardens are starting to bloom but I cannot wait to Italy with all the flowers blooming, Always before our visits have been in the fall.

New London...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car Info. in Bari

sealights99....This is our first time to Pulia and first time to Italy period. Arriving in Rome, spending a day and night there to catch up on sleep, then venturing out by train and car to Pulia. Have a elderly cousin who still lives in the house my grandfather grew up in, in the town of Polignano a Mara, right on the water. Staying there for 3 days and then back to Rome to start out 10 day tour of Rome and Tuscany, visiting the towns of Cortona, Chianti, Siena, and Florence. Then back to Rome to fly back to the U.S. We leave on Oct.16th. Can't wait. P.S. cousin can't speak English and we can't speak Italian, should be interesting !!!

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
139 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car Info. in Bari

LJS....sorry it has taken me so many days to get back to you but this time of year is very hectic on the island. First, your trip sounds wonderful. Polignano a Mare is certainly on our list of places to go and see. I will look forward to hearing all about your trip after you return. We are staying just outside of Locorotundo in Trito in a trulli and will make day trips from there for the week we are in Puglia. As for language.....learn just a few basic sayings and you will be fine. Send me your email and I will forward the key we have used and have gotten by on our previous trips. If you need any info on Tuscany I will tell you our favorite places to eat and visit.

New London...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car Info. in Bari

Sealights99...Thanks for your help. I would be interested in your key. My email is ljs0070@sbcglobal.net I would also be interested in your favorites in Tuscany, maybe some of your favorites will be stops on our 10 day tour. We will have some time on our own while on the tour and there may be a possibility that we can visit one of your favorites. Thanks ljs