We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire from Bari Airport

Which Bari hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Car Hire from Bari Airport

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help, we are flying in to Bari in mid July. We will need to hire a car for 10days. Can someone please recommend a decent car hire company, one that has its offices and cars at the airport? I really don't want to be getting a bus transfer with suitcases and tired children.

Someone has already recommended Autoeurope, I'm not sure if this is just a agent, so if i go with these i might not have any idea where the final car hire might come from! Hope someone can help

Many Thanks

Matt

105 replies to this topic
Cork Ireland
Level Contributor
214 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire from Bari Airport

We hired with europcar last July Matt from Bari airport n returned to brindisi. Only prob was agent tried to fob us off with smaller car at airport. We stood our ground! All fine after!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,641 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire from Bari Airport

Reputable car rental agency www.auto-europe.co.uk

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire from Bari Airport

I've used autoeurope and, although they are an agent, they will let you know (when you book I think) which comany you're actually hiring from. Bari airport has all the major operators (budget, hertz, avis, etc) and if you're worried about any of the small print, just give them a call after you've booked to check the finer details (I think there's a cancellation period too). My last trip, I couldn't go so had to make a very last minute amendment to the driver's details on my booking ... it was done with no fuss and no charge! I've never had a problem.

Alberobello
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire from Bari Airport

Got to Hertz or Avis. This year there are several companies who have been lumped together under the auto europe banner and have a single desk with a single operative. It has been chaos. Between 2 and 3 hours wait for collecting your car. I have just had a text from our last guests stating that this company have tried to charge them €45 for a late pick up last Saturday even though they had been standing in the queue for 2.5 hours. Avoid them at all costs. Both Hertz and Avis were clear after 20 minutes.

Scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire from Bari Airport

Are Europcar one of the ones now lumped to together? Arrive next Sat at 8pm, don't want to have to queue for hours.... :(

Bussum, The...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire from Bari Airport

Are the roads around Bari airport too busy on Sunday afternoon (around 4pm), and Monday, the same time?

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire from Bari Airport

Many thanks to everyone who replied. Having weighed things up with auto Europe, the voucher they sent through says it is with Maggiore!!! I will post how we get on,,!

On another note can anyone recommend some family friendly beaches reachable from Cisternino? Is one coast likely to be better than another?

Many thanks for your help again.

Matt

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire from Bari Airport

Hi again

Just thought i would give you an update.

Picking up the car from the airport from Auto europe wasn't a problem. As someone earlier stated Auto europe is an agent, the actual car hire was through a company called Maggiore, but as i say no problem, no hard sell on taking up their expensive insurance etc, car was virtually brand new Fiat 500 L (only 850km on the clock).

However last night, from the Trullo (think villa) the car was stolen!! It was taken in the middle of the night, we still have the keys, there is no broken glass on the floor and we didn't hear an alarm going off! The Trullo where we are staying is incredible remote and off the road, i think the most cars we have seen in one day is 2!! so extremely quiet and peaceful.

A few things may seem odd, but i will let you be the judge.

Would criminals, who would have to have the technological understanding to break into a car, getting round the alarm system, then hot wiring the car, getting past the immobiliser which i understand is very difficult to do in modern cars, would they target a single car in the middle or virtually no where???? If you were a car thief would you really drive into rural country side in the hope you might come across a car???

A neighbour to the property said that that is the fourth such case of hired cars getting stolen in the last year, all disappearing in the middle of the night, without a sound or trace!!

Now i'm no Sherlock Holmes, but something stinks here, all hired cars??? As far as i am led to believe most modern cars are incredibly difficult to steal, the only real way it can be done is with the keys! Certainly in the UK car thieves often break into houses just to steal the keys!!

And to top it all Maggiore are now taking an extremely long time in deciding if i will get a replacement car or not??? According to their representative at Bari airport they may not be willing to supply another car because we have had one stolen already!!! not exactly helpful, especially when it is a 2mile walk just to get a bottle of water....!

Luckily i had taken out an additional insurance in the UK to cover the £1600 excess that might be due.

I will update as to how i get on.

Ps i would be interested to hear if any other people have had hire cars stolen in southern Italy, the neighbour who said about the other 4 cars stolen seemed to think it was all part of some insurance scam.

please let me know

thanks

Matt

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
177 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire from Bari Airport

Hi Matt P

Quite interested in your story as we're about to hire a car from bari airport..and will be staying in a trulli a bit away. Could I please ask what area you are staying in....maybe where you're staying as a PM wud be prudent.

Any info would be great thank you. We are looking at Avis .... ! ?

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire from Bari Airport

We are staying kind of half way between Martina Franca and Cisternino, if you drew a straight line between them, we would be approx half way and maybe a little south of the line! Where abouts are you staying?

Reply to: Car Hire from Bari Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted