We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to return Hertz car in/near Bari Centrale?

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Where to return Hertz car in/near Bari Centrale?

Can someone tell me how to return a rental car (Hertz) at or near the Bari train station? Google maps show the Hertz office on the south side of the town--on the wrong side of the tracks from the entrance to the Centrale station. I need to know if I need to drop my wife and 10 year old off at the station and then drive to a Hertz return location for the drop-off--or--is there a Hertz drop-off right at the train station? We'll be ending the southern part of our drive through Amalfi, Basilicata and Puglia and need to catch a train to Rome.

Martina Franca...
Level Contributor
91 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to return Hertz car in/near Bari Centrale?

There is no Hertz dropoff at the train station. The central Bari Hertz office is about a five-minute walk to the train station.

You could drop your wife and child off at the station, drive to the Hertz office, then walk back to the station. You don't have to walk all the way back around to the front of the station; there is an entrance on the back side of the station on Via Giuseppe Capruzzi which takes you down stairs below the tracks.

Martina Franca...
Level Contributor
91 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to return Hertz car in/near Bari Centrale?

There is no Hertz dropoff at the train station. The central Bari Hertz office is about a five-minute walk to the train station.

You could drop your wife and child off at the station, drive to the Hertz office, then walk back to the station. You don't have to walk all the way back around to the front of the station; there is an entrance on the back side of the station on Via Giuseppe Capruzzi which takes you down stairs below the tracks.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 09:12
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to return Hertz car in/near Bari Centrale?

Thank you, PugliaVagabond, just what I was looking for. This teaches me to go to street level on Google Earth more often. I totally missed that rear entrance to the station. I can now picture how to get us all to the station easily.

I would appreciate any other advice you can give us about catching a train at Bari to get back to Rome. Snacks/lunch, safety, getting tickets, etc.

Grazie mille!

Martina Franca...
Level Contributor
91 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to return Hertz car in/near Bari Centrale?

If you know for sure when you are traveling from Bari to Rome, you can buy your tickets in advance on www.trenitalia.com at a substantial savings. For example, a SuperEconomy 2nd class ticket is 19 Euro, vs. 54 Euro for full fare. They have an website in English. Just print out the ticket and bring it with you, no need to validate. However, these low fare Economy and SuperEconomy tickets are limited in number (they sell out early) and they are nonrefundable. If you need more flexibility, you can buy a full fare ticket either in advance online or just wait until you get to the station, either in a ticket machine or at the counter. Note that some ticket machines only take credit or debit cards, no cash.

There is a decent fast-food cafe right inside the train station - I believe it's called Spizzico. If you are standing in the piazza in front of the station facing the train station, it's on the right-hand side of the station. They have panini and pizza by the slice, drinks, etc. They have tables for eating in, or they'll wrap your sandwiches to go if you want to eat on the train.

If you're not in a hurry, there are lots of restaurants in Bari, as well as quite a few fast-food options in the blocks around the station.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to return Hertz car in/near Bari Centrale?

Great information... This planning thing is really complex. No wonder some people just get a travel agent. BTW... in your opinion, is the area around the station safe? Do you think I should drop off my wife and son at the station and then drive the rental car to Hertz myself?

6. Re: Where to return Hertz car in/near Bari Centrale?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bari
Recent Conversations