We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bari Old City

Which Bari hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
65 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Bari Old City

I have seen various warnings about safety in the old city of Bari although most of these date back 10 years or more. I know that the city authorities have been trying to clean up their act. Does anyone have recent experience of the old city? Is it just a case of not flaunting your wealth and keeping handbags under your arm, or does it require a full combat alert?

Martina Franca...
Level Contributor
80 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bari Old City

My sister and I (two women) were there yesterday, walking all through the old city during daylight hours. No problems whatsoever, nor did I feel any less safe than I would have in any city. I think the warnings generally refer to wandering by yourself at night. And yes, you should always take the usual precautions of not flaunting wealth or looking like an easy mark anywhere you travel.

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bari Old City

I wss in Giovinazzo last night, a very beautiful little village and NO tourists, with a very relaxed atmosphere. I was walking w/a female friend, with our husbands ahead of us. We'd seen fireworks earlier in the evening, and as we walked back to our lodging, we heard a "boom." Thinking there were more fireworks, I turned and almost bumped into a guy, tall, slim, who had been walking right at our heels. I never heard him there. As soon as I'd turned, he did a 180 and walked as fast as he could in the opposite directions. The woman I was walking with had her purse and camera draped across her body, a good thing, but the straps were very thin, easy to cut and snatch. You bag(s) should have thick straps that can't be cut easily, to avoid temptation. Try to see Giovinazzo, just north of Bari. It is so beautiful--but don't let your guard down too much.

Turin
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bari Old City

I don't get what happened, you bumped into a guy and instead of apologizing you're accusing him of being a thief? I guess he is at home talking about the usual rude tourist from Germany who scared him to death and did not say anything.

Belfast, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bari Old City

Stayed one night in Bari two weeks ago as plane came in quite late. Took a taxi from the train station to the old city and stayed in a delightful B& B.

Wandered around the old City at nearly midnight, and as far as I am concerned it was perfectly safe.

Spend a few hours waiting in Bari on the return trip in the new part of town which has some good shops and restaurants. It was all very quiet and no more a hazard to the average tourist than any other major city.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bari Old City

If only I had wealth to flaunt!!!!

6. Re: Bari Old City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 07:16