We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bari to Rome

australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Bari to Rome

Im arriving my ferry from greece, and i am wanting to get to rome. I have been told that bari is a haven for theives, so i am a bit worries as i am a single girl traveling by myself. Could anyone suggest the best way for me to get to rome? Train? Bus? And how do i get to the train station/bus station from the port? Any information would be so helpful!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bari to Rome

It is a bit, but take sensible precautions and you should be fine. What time are you travelling? I'd be wary if it was going to be dark, but during the day as long as you keep your eyes peeled and act like you know where you're going you should be fine. Don't take your eyes off your bags, don't leave anything in accessible pockets, etc. And be very wary of anyone who offers to help with your bags at the port. I've no doubt some offers of help are genuine, but...

I would probably get the train to Rome from Bari, but only because I don't actually know anything about the buses! You can get train times etc on www.trenitalia.com - I think it's about 4 1/2 - 5 hrs on the Eurostar, and it's quite a nice train ride, actually - good scenery in places. Be a bit careful at the station too, as it's a bit dodgy sometimes!

Um, getting from the port to the train station... there's a local bus that goes there... I think it's the number 20 but I wouldn't swear by it! You'd have to buy your bus ticket before you get on the bus, probably from a 'tabacchi' or kiosk at the port. I would think there would be quite a lot of people doing the same thing as you!

australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bari to Rome

Thank you so much for your reply. I am arriving in the morning i think, so that should be alright. I had a horror arrival in athens at 9.30 at night, so i just dont want a repeat of that!!

Do you think its best to book my train tickets online? Or can you just buy them from the station?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bari to Rome

Hmm.. in this case you probably want to buy them online. It's a Eurostar you want to get (much quicker) and for those, seat reservations are compulsory and they can sell out. That train's been reasonably busy when I've got it. To be honest you'd *probably* be fine to just get them on the day, but you might not be, so to be on the safe side, I'd probably book them in advance as you don't really want to be hanging around Bari station. Also you might find a special offer online, sometimes they have them...

NYC
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bari to Rome

It would be nice to buy the railway tkt online, but, let me save you time (you'd have to register, etc.) they do not accept non-Italian issued credit cards, so you have to wait until you are in Italy. In Italy if you use non-Italian issued credit cards it's fine, either at the window or at the machines.

By the way, across the square from the main train station Marozzi buses leave I believe a couple of times a day (3 and 11pm, maybe also 8am) to go to Rome. Look for their website. I know they have one.

Please note that Marozzi arrives at Stazione Tiburtina in Rome, so -depending on where you have to go- it might be less convenient than the Stazione Termini.

Do not be too scared of thieves in Bari. They are there, but if you are sensible you have nothing to worry. I actually suggest that you store your luggage at the train station (they have a luggage depot) and take a walk in the downtown area. You will love the shopping in the "new" area (corso Cavour etc.), and the views in the old town. Just do not wear anything flashy, and keep cameras, money, and cell phones in a secure pocket.

5. Re: Bari to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 04:15