We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for short trip to Pugilia

Which Brindisi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for short trip to Pugilia

I am going to Pugilia in October for three nights – it is a surprise trip for my partner's 50th birthday and I'd like to stay somewhere a bit special, ideally in a pretty town. We fly to Brindisi but I am not sure where to book our base – torn between the seaside towns of Gallipoli and Otranto or further north in Ostuni, or even Brindisi itself. We will have a car, but I don't want to drive every night going out to dinner, etc.

Any advice welcome. Cheers.

UK
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for short trip to Pugilia

Take a look at these two, both of which we've stayed at and would recommend. The first is in the centre of Otranto and the other just outside Ostuni.

http://www.hotelpalazzopapaleo.com/

http://www.masseriailfrantoio.it/

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for short trip to Pugilia

Many thanks Joanna, I'll take a look at those. As regards the actual towns, do you have a favourite? As a beach and seafood lover, I'm drawn to Otranto but I know the weather might be variable and some seaside places can feel a little deserted out of season.

Folkestone, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for short trip to Pugilia

Ortrano is nicer then Gallipoli but Santa Cesarea Terme is lovely with lots of cafes, restaurants promenade and sightseeing. It was our favourite place on a recent visit

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for short trip to Pugilia

Where did you stay in Santa Cesarea Terme?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for short trip to Pugilia

I think Otranto is a lovely seaside town to base yourself. I prefer it to Gallipoli and had a wonderful dining experience at L'atro Baffo, amazing seafood! Palazzo Papaleo is where we stayed and is highly recommended.

Good luck with your planning:)

Folkestone, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for short trip to Pugilia

Unfortunately we did not stay there we were at Masseria Appide but in all honesty this is too remote but there are plenty of hotels in and around the area and it is a lovely drive down the coast from Brindisi

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for short trip to Pugilia

Do you mean Masseria Appide is too remote or Santa Caesara is too remote?

Folkestone, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for short trip to Pugilia

Masserai Appide is too remote, Santa Cesarea is right on the coast with good access roads. If we went back to Puglia we would try to stay there.

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for short trip to Pugilia

thanks!

10. Re: Advice for short trip to Pugilia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 12:55