We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Was Celenzia called Celuesa

Which Foggia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bouse Arizona
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Was Celenzia called Celuesa

Found my grandmothers mainifest and it states that she was born in Celeusa but my records show she was born in Celenzia. Is this the same town and if so does anyone have any idea when it was changed?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Was Celenzia called Celuesa

A Google search turns up very, very few references to Celeusa, most of them from Ellis Island records.

It turns up even fewer references to Celenzia.

However, there was and is a place called Celenza Valfortore, which turns up 82,700 records.

I would suggest that there never was a place called Celeusa and that it is simply a misreading/misspelling of Celenza, as is Celenzia.

Bouse Arizona
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Was Celenzia called Celuesa

Thanks for your quick reply. Here's what I have: I found the ship log from Italy to America also shows the town spelt Celeusa. I think I might have to look into a history of Foggia prior to WW2.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Was Celenzia called Celuesa

It's got to be a misspelling - probably a misreading, actually, if you imagine "Celenza" written in 'old' handwriting, I think it's quite easy to see how you'd come up with "Celeusa". I'm guessing you've seen this page:

http://celenzaheritage.googlepages.com/

And it says there that "Celensa" was often given as a spelling. 'u' and 'n' are very easily confused in old records.

Just as an added bit of possible confusion, there's another Celenza (Celenza sul Trigno) in Abruzzo, but as you've posted this in the Puglia forum I'm guessing you know you're looking for a place in Puglia...

Bouse Arizona
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Was Celenzia called Celuesa

Ok, thanks for that. I'm glad that we confer as to the misspelling as I would hate to have to read an Italian History book looking for that name:):). Now back to my research on Celenzia family!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
561 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Was Celenzia called Celuesa

Thanks for putting up a link to my web page Viki! You may want to look through the two lists of manifests (Boston and New York) on my web site. If your surname is on one of those Excel spreadhseets, it should narrow things down. Celenza Valfortore is a small town with 2000 people, so many of the same surnames show up again and again. Also check out my surname list. www.celenzaheritage.com (the googlepages site links to the new site).

CT
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Was Celenzia called Celuesa

Gloria, have you found anything yet? My grandmother was from Celenza, can tell you more about that.

Also a great site is avitrees.com- you can type in a surname and it will tell you what towns people with that name came from. Also you can type in a town name, and they will tell you the surnames associated with that town.

Sher

7. Re: Was Celenzia called Celuesa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 14:19