We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World War II -

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
World War II -

My dad was based in Foggia in 1945 - at Celone Air Base. He flew B-17's. Does anyone know if there are any WW II museums or sights in Foggia ???

I will be soon be in Italy for a few weeks and wanted to see if I should visit Foggia.

Thank you.

IMB

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World War II -

Hello IMB

We will be in Foggia in April looking for the same thing - our Grandfather was a B17 Bombardier, flying out of Foggia.

Did you find anything there related to the figher and bomber groups in WWII?

thank you

Italy
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: World War II -

Hello skeptic99, I think this website can be useful, it has very detailed info about WWII in Foggia, unfortunately it is in Italian only: http://www.foggiainguerra.it/

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World War II -

thank you!

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World War II -

Hi skeptic99,

No - I never was able to find anything on WWII sights (or museums) to visit in Foggia today, much to my dismay.

I am returning to Italy again in 2015. It will have been 70 years since my Dad was based in Foggia, also a bombardier on B17's.

Have you found anything in the last week???

Thanks,

IMB

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World War II -

We're confirming which bomber wing he was in, and then going to use this Wikipedia article & map to try and figure out a little better where he was:

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/15thaf…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foggia_Airfield_Complex

Will unfortunately probably be limited to just a spiritual journey, where we can see the country side and raise a glass of wine to the aircrews

Salute!

6. Re: World War II -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 20:45
Edited: 02 January 2015, 20:45
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: World War II -

So Gramps was a part of 15th Air Force, 2d Bomb Group (Heavy), 49th Squadron, flying out of Amendola Air Field. B17's bombing Germany, Austria, Czechoslovakia. Amendola is a current Italian Air Force Base. I'll see how close to the airfield the Italian AP's allow us to get.... ;)

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: World War II -

…wikipedia.org/wiki/2d_Operations_Group#medi…

9. Re: World War II -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 20:45
arlington, va
Level Contributor
264 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: World War II -

Hi,

I just posted a link to a website you may find helpful. It's www.2ndbombgroup.org. Please let me know if you have any problems or questions with the site.