We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights are cheap but which resort?? and cheap apartments??

Northwest, England
Level Contributor
408 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Flights are cheap but which resort?? and cheap apartments??

Hi, trying to find our summer holiday and found that flights to Sardinia with RyanAir are really (surprisingly) cheap!

However, I have tried reading resort guides but still cannot gauge which is the place to go for a young couple (not talking about mad clubbing-not into that, but more lively rather than secluded). We are on a very tight budget this year so trying to figure out if Sardinia is for us.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :-)

Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights are cheap but which resort?? and cheap apartments??

hev86

Sardinia is not the cheapest island on which to spend a holiday and is likely to be more costly than Spain or Greece. That said, it is not that expensive for visitors from the UK (subject to the significant slide in the value of the GBP halting soon).

If you visit before the middle of June or after the middle of September, you should be able to avoid high season accommodation prices, which will save you about 30%. In addition, the island will not be packed with holiday makers but will be sunny and hot (30C+).

As you are based in the northwest and speak of Ryanair, then I make the assumption that you intend to fly into Alghero. IF that is the case, then that town is ideal for you. It is just a short and inexpensive bus ride from the airport (buses meet all incoming flights. It is more lively than secluded - but Sardinia does not have a clubbing culture - there are some fabulous beaches right in the town, there are a wealth of excellent restaurants and shops and the place is steeped in history.

I suggest that you take the time to read the TripAdvisor Inside Pages about Alghero, which can be found at:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187880-s1/Alghero:Sa…

If you like what you see, then come back & we can discuss suitable accommodation.

Good Luck.

Northwest, England
Level Contributor
408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights are cheap but which resort?? and cheap apartments??

thanks so much, I'll take a look :-()

Northwest, England
Level Contributor
408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights are cheap but which resort?? and cheap apartments??

alghero looks good for us! So how cheap do you think we could get an apartment or hotel? This could be the cruncher!! I think it will either be Lanzarote or Sardinia and I think Sardinia has a lot more charm if we can get it cheaply enough. We had a big holiday last year and are buying a house this year so obviously can't afford to go overboard!

Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights are cheap but which resort?? and cheap apartments??

hev86,

Can you give me an indication of when you are coming?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,556 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights are cheap but which resort?? and cheap apartments??

And how many of you there are.

burton on trent
Level Contributor
241 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights are cheap but which resort?? and cheap apartments??

we flew with ryan air to alghero. we stayed in a village nearer to airport but would really recommend you stay closer to alghero town. There is a lovely walled old town right on the harbour where you can get some great sea trips. We ate at Neptuno and had a fantastic meal although we were initially going to leave as they squashed us onto their tiny balcony (for which you pay a suppliment)but as we were travelling with italian friends they explained the problem and eventually we left as great friends having had a superb meal. The best icecream shop is just arround the corner in the little square. we struggled to find somewhere to eat as we arrived sunday eve and were staying out of the centre. There is a little train which will take you on a tour around the walled town or you can go by horse and carriage. we did go out to a couple of the other towns but to be honest they wern't that different to where we were. there are some small beach huts which are available to rent just outside of the town, they looked fairly nice but i don't know what they were called. sorry. There is no duty free at airport and not much in the food line either. have fun.

7. Re: Flights are cheap but which resort?? and cheap apartments??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 20:23