We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olbia??

florida
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Olbia??

This port is on a cruise itinerary I'm considering. Olbia is not a place one often hears about. I'm hoping that people can tell me what sorts of excursions one might do from this port. I have no interest in shopping, and while I do like beaches, I don't especially want to go to the beach on a cruise vacation. Are there interesting walking trails in the area? Great scenery? E.g., is the scenery as handsome as the area around Capri? Is there anything of special historical or archeological interest?

Thank you.

North-East Sardinia
Level Contributor
284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olbia??

Is an ancient town that unfortunately has been built upon rests of greek, roman, phoenician civilizations.

Sometimes, when public administration or privates make some rebuilding of streets or sanitary sewer some important rest of those ancient storical domination that colonized a longtime agos the whole island comes up from the ground.

For years those rest were considered only troubles and problems that could interrupt those works and building so they were quickly buried by cement and asphalt in order to avoid the stop of their business.

So only when really important and large rests came up from the ground and could not be hidden we realize that we have a real treasure under our houses and streets.

No respect for cultural heritage is not only for historical rests but also for natural sites; so Olbia now is only a touristic port and an airport that doesn't care about the lagoon and the sea that are inside the town.

What a pity!

Bad smell and dirty water is the only picture you can see into Olbia caused by pollution.

Fortunately that happens only into the town nad not behind its border.

Costa Smeralda is a few km far from Olbia and the sea is wonderful and turquoise.

The few ancient interesting rests inside the town are: the Roman foro, near the city hall, the rests of a roman aqueduct near the old hospital, punic rests in via Nanni, the basilic of San Simplicio that is from the Middle age.

Other surely more interesting rests are quite far from Olbia and specially the "nuraghi" that are enormous prehistorical made of stone towers (in Sardinia there are hundreds of that strange buildings) and "tombe dei giganti" (1600 b.C.!!!)too.

So Capri is another world with its scenary.

Near Olbia you can go to visit the little island of Tavolara but is just a beach that you can see because the bigger part of it is forbidden entry Army zone, so probably you are not interested in visiting the beach.

2. Re: Olbia??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2009, 05:27