We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry to Olbia from Rome

calif.
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
ferry to Olbia from Rome

Can anyone tell me how the ferry ride is from Rome to Olbia? Is it a rough ride? Is it better to fly over?I need to finalize travel plans very soon.

Thank you so much for your help.

Rosanna

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry to Olbia from Rome

It's a very smooth ride except when sea conditions are very rough!!!

For much of the year, there are both daylight and overnight crossings between Civitavecchia and Olbia. During the winter, there are exclusively overnight crossings (Tirrenia and SNAV only). The daylight crossings are faster.

www.tirrenia.it

www.moby.it

www.snav.it

If you are connecting at FCO from an international or intercontinental flight, it is better to fly over to Olbia. However, if you are starting your trip out of Rome, you should consider both the crossings and the flights as viable options. If you happen to be very near to Civitavecchia, taking the ferry might actually be preferable to flying from FCO.

calif.
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry to Olbia from Rome

Thank you so much, that was very helpful. It sounds like flying will be the best bet for us.

Best regards

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry to Olbia from Rome

Condiering the flight from Rome to Alghero is 40 minutes its very quick and easy. The ferry ride I hve taken countless times and its not at all rough, but I would fly and hire a car once you get to your destination on the island.

calif.
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry to Olbia from Rome

Sounds like the best way, also since we don't have a lot of time for this leg of the trip.

thank you

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry to Olbia from Rome

What is the cost difference though, between flying and taking a ferry?

6. Re: ferry to Olbia from Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Sardinia