We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sardinia or Croatia?

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Sardinia or Croatia?

If you had to choose between the two where would you go and why?

South Wales
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sardinia or Croatia?

Been to Croatia and absolutely loved it. Went to Bol (on Brac island), Brela and Split. Amazing scenery, lovely people, good food - absolute heaven on earth. I will return again and again and again

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,679 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sardinia or Croatia?

thats a difficult question......

It all comes down to your interests ??

A few more details would help in giving you appropriate advice.

EM.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sardinia or Croatia?

I agree with the previous posts, it really depends on your interests.

However, for me Croatia wins every time. I usually travel around five times a year to various destinations and I always return to Croatia every year. It is such a beautiful country and is very underrated and in my opinion (sorry for saying this but I have to be honest), Sardinia is overrated and more expensive than Croatia. Good luck!

Edited: 07 March 2010, 15:06
Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sardinia or Croatia?

Looking for white sandy beaches with clear blue water. I can do with out the huge rocks digging into your feet like Cinque Terre. I get bored if I spend too much time at the beach and need more to do. I like shopping (but not at souvenier shops), eating, walking around and taking photos of old architecture (I am a photographer), and LOVE monumental cemeteries. I also would enjoy being able to not hire a car and depend on trains (but I will drive if I have to). Basically, I am looking for Venice/Florence meets the Bahamas. (; Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sardinia or Croatia?

Succinct and to the point....go Croatia as Rick Steves has written a travel book about it so the American white shoe brigade will be all over it.....Sardinia will be there for later on.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sardinia or Croatia?

I am an American that likes my black MaryJane's. So, where does that leave me? LOL I was starting to heavily lean towards Croatia, because it seems there is a lot more to see than Sardinia (meaning more towns and more old architecture, but I could be wrong). However, I have to ask after your comment...is this due to Rick Steve's books?

Looking at the photos on Flickr (which helps me out sometimes) I have to ask are the beaches in Sardinia nicer than Croatia? In the photos of Sardinia, the beaches look SO beautiful, white sandy beaches and clear water. The ones in Croatia look like pebbles/rocks and the water doesn't look as clear. Or is that just in the photos shown?

I am SSooOOooo confused!

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sardinia or Croatia?

Croatia is a sensation and well worth any visit.....a variance to the Italianate theme with the Balkins in a full awakening to its potential.

The coast is brilliant but is not white sand and palm trees .....so the beaches have the broken down sand from prior volcanic activity.

I do not travel for the beach so perhaps others can help in that direction but for great villages...Trogir...Hvar....Ston et al and a trip quality that will draw you back its a goer.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sardinia or Croatia?

I guess I can deal with little pebbles and stones if the water is clear. I can't wait until my books come from Amazon. It is really hard to plan without them. Is there public transportation to the towns you listed? Hopefully I can fit most things in within 7 days. If you had 7 days, how many hotels would you base yourself in to visit the beaches and towns? Which towns would you use as a base?

Waterbury...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sardinia or Croatia?

Went to Croatia last year for two weeks. Have never been to Sardinia. I thought Dubrovnik was lovely and could serve as a base for trips to towns both north and south. The smaller towns are charming but really do not have alot to do in terms of museums, shopping, culture. You really need to like water activites-whether the beach, snorkeling, sea kayaking etc. The Croatian water is amazing. Dubrovnik center is really not large but is truly lovely and has an active night life with people watching on the Strada or promenade. We rented a car at the end of our stay in Dubrovnik and drove up the coast. Like you, I love beautiful blue water and beach, but I want to balance it with exploring cities and towns, hours of walking and exploring. We rented a small aprtment on the Mediterranean on the island of Korcula for about 60 Euros a nite. We explored the island-did a lot of beach and snorkeling. Lemon and fig trees everywhere.and beautiful beach glass abounds. Although Korcula town is gorgeous, again it is small. I think that Croatia is a balance--stay in a place for a while and get your R&R. Some people might like to just stay put on one island if they are really laid back. If not, rent a car, ferry between islands; drive into local vineyards and buy wine out of a garage; visit Plitvice National Park;and explore various locales. If you like variety int erms of beach vs. culture.art/ shopping, I believe you will need to move around (and should), as there is not one large town/city that will meet all your needs. However, I will tell you that every place is gorgeous and I will never forget it. I hope to go to the northern coastline of Croatia some time and visit other islands as well.. Sea kayaking is a must if you want to see hidden coves, blue caves, etc. You might even hold a black sea urchin in your hands. Highly recommend the kayaking,

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sardinia or Croatia?

Well, the answers to this posting really surprised me. Normally it's so predictible when someone posts to a forum and says, which is better, the place this forum is about, or somewhere else. The forum place always wins. But not in this case - every reply has said - go to the somewhere else!

We have been to both and I would say that depending whereabouts in Croatia you go (it's a big place with lots of choices with different "feels" to them) there's not a great deal to choose between them - but Croatia is likely to be cheaper.

Ha ha, one more vote for Croatia on the Sardinia forum! But having said that I must admit we are going back to Sardinia (not Croatia) this year. I like Sardinian cooking and being able to speak and understand the language - for me they are big bonuses.

R

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe