We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Olbia Airport to Calarossa

Isle of Lewis...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Olbia Airport to Calarossa

Hi

Google maps suggests that the north coast road is slightly shorter than driving inland via Tempio Pausania.

We will be leaving the airport just after 8pm (if on time) so it will be dark but the roads should be reasonably quiet.

Can anyone advise on the best route?

Cheers

David

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Olbia Airport to Calarossa

I hope this is not too late, although it probably is ....

we have recently returned from the North Coast of Sardinia.

We drove to the Tempio Pausania area on two separate occasions, to visit Luogo Santo, a nuraghe near Tempio Pausania, a couple of mineral water springs, and the Valle della Luna (valley of the moon).

It was flat and easy to drive along the coast roads, which are generally straight and wide. The roads into the interior are not bad, but you need to bear in mind that you are winding round the mountains (if they can be called mountains) so there are tight bends to negotiate sometimes and some inclines , and the locals are used to the roads being empty in autumn, or with other locals with similarly quick reactions to their own.... we found Italian cars (could be hire cars driven by tourists, I suppose) at the end of September, crossing the central line (and double lines at that) quite happily on the straight and round the bends.... on both the coast road and the inland roads, giving us a few frights. As you are driving at night, there's not much to choose between the roads, regarding the views, although inland gives more variety - different coloured rocks, some granite, some red.... I suppose, too, that you'd see the headlights coming some way ahead too, which gives more warning than suddenly being faced with a car on your side of the road, in daylight. Easier to cope with that on a flat, wide coast road with good vision. Personally, I would choose the coast road (but I wasn't driving) providing you don't think the flat monotony might make you fall asleep. The front seat passenger (if they drive themselves) spend the journey with equal stress if not more than the actual driver... some company ought to provide a gadget the front seat passenger can stamp on when they have the braking reaction - it would save the car floor being damaged in the long run. If you were to do the trip in daylight, you would find some interesting scenery (Valle della Luna) if you were to go inland. The sea views are beautiful - snatches of 'cale' (like fjords) and rolling wild horses (on the windy days, with great sprays of foam) can be seen from the road.

We too arrived at night, and for some reason got lost from the airport to getting around Olbia, adding an hour to the journey (we also had a satnav ...the voice seemed to get more and more depressed as it gave up on redirecting us and moved onto : 'turn around at the first opportunity !)

Better still, if you're arriving so late, stay the night at the airport area - leave early next morning refreshed. You can make a half day of it, with the views, and visiting the places mentioned, en route to your final destination. You could do part inland, part coast.

Do let us know what you decided in the end, and post a trip report.... better late than never.... I'm still preparing mine !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Olbia Airport to Calarossa

I forgot, we too were due to arrive at Olbia at 8pm. but we were already an hour late, as the plane was an hour late leaving the UK. Then the clocks are an hour forward in Sardinia.....so... allowing half an hour for a light meal shortly after leaving Olbia, and getting on the right road... the night drive was not fun. We arrived at our hotel after midnight, and we were only going to Santa Teresa di Gallura !

3. Re: Driving from Olbia Airport to Calarossa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2011, 06:18