We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryan Air

denver, co
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Ryan Air

Has anyone traveled with Ryan Air? I am just curious as to why it is so inexpensive? Is it decent? I just don't want to be flying on some shady airline! The price is so low, I just had to ask!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,882 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryan Air

There are one of Europe's two biggest low-costs and possibly the world's worst airline, but don't let that put you off. For a short internal flight they will be fine.

Have a look at www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ryan.htm for opinions on Ryanair.

The prices aren't that low. Watch the extra taxes, charges and fees they levy on top of that low basic fare, as well as the fee to check baggage.

Their customer service is non-existent. If your flight is cancelled, or you miss it (you much check in at least 40 minutes in advance - no exceptions) expect no sympathy. Even if it is their fault, they will try to wriggle out of their obligations to provide you a meal etc..

They are safe though, and usually on time. Think of Southwest with non-existent customer service, no flexibility, and attempts to extort more cash from you at every turn. If you would fly with Southwest, especially on a flight of less than a couple of hours, Ryanair will be fine.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryan Air

Some people criticise Ryanair unfairly, but...WE fly them 10 or more times a year as they are incredibly cheap - often less than 50 Euros return London-Italy (although their pricing policy is very clever, and if you fly at peak times or at short notice you can pay ten times that). Use the 'find cheapest fares' feature on thier website or scoll different dates and book early for best price. And no they are not a shady outfit; I think they have overtaken British Airways in terms of size, have brand new planes, better than average records for punctuality and not losing baggage and adequately average legroom. I don't mind the lack of in flight catering (take a sandwich!) nor unallocated seats (so you have to sprint for one of the 12 emergency exit seats if you really want the extra space). Go for it

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryan Air

Agree with alexmac, no way are they near the world's worst airline. OK, they could do better on their PR, but they are very safe and their planes are very modern.

World's worst airline should be a tag reserved for the totally unsafe and dodgy airlines in some parts of Afica and Asia.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,882 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryan Air

They are a false economy when flights are cancelled or you are forced to pay extra charges.

They fly their pilots to the absolute limit. Their only saving grace is the newness of their fleet.

From a customer service point of view, they deserve the title world's worst airline. They simply don't care about their passengers.

birmingham
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryan Air

I agree with you worldvoyger, but have herd more bout the increased demand for pilots and how easyjet have lowered there criterea from 1500 hours to 500 hrs experience. My landing in lgfhero lst october was scary, we double bounced the runway, but on the other hand on long haul flights to the states we have had much worse turbulance in the ir than this.

So I guess until we land in the sea

More people are killed (pro rta) than crossing th e rod!!!!!!!!!!!!

birmingham
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryan Air

sorry chaps my 'a' key is knackered

birmingham
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryan Air

also my landing was with Ryanair and not easyjet, just to make things more clear

london
Level Contributor
215 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryan Air

I fly frequently long haul, always in first class. In europe, I normally just book Ryanair.

The service is lousy and you'll be treated like cattle - but so is BA and most European carriers (job club airlines), at least with Ryanair they don't pretend they offer something special.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,882 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryan Air

That's the problem. They DO pretend they are something special.

Look at how they boast about the excellent customer service they provide, how low their complaints are etc., when in fact they provide the worst customer service of any airline I have flown in 40 years of regular flying. And that includes African airlines.

The reason they get no complaints is they make it impossible to complain - no email address, premium rate phone numbers that are rarely answered, fax numbers that are often offline. And if you do get through, the response is such that you don't bother complaining again.

They pretend to be a scheduled airline, but when there are problems, cancellations or delays, even when they are Ryanair's fault, they don't provide the level of service you would expect from a scheduled airline, or even what they are required to do by law. BA at least will get you on the next available flight with them or one of their partners. I Europe, that usually means in the next few hours. With Ryanair, it can mean a wait of days. And if you do have to wait a day with BA, they put you up. Even Ghana International and Kenya Airways do that. Not so Ryanair.

The best gauge of airlines I have found is Skytrax (www.airlinequality.com). They provide a similar service to Trip Advisor - real travellers writing about their experiences. The editors noted recently they get 35 negative comments about Ryanair for every positive one. Compare Ryanair's page to Easyjet's. The difference is stunning.

My advice to people is to fly Ryanair only when you have to, and only if you can get one of their cheap deals (their pricing policy is a whole other issue). By robust travel insurance (NOT from the Ryanair site) that will cover a new ticket if Ryanair lets you down, then hope for the best. But definitely consider any other airline if it can get you where you are going. Ryanair often turns out to be a false economy.

london
Level Contributor
215 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryan Air

When you're paying less than £100 return to fly half way across Europe I don't see what you can possibly find to complain about.

It costs me £120 return to take the train 150km to London from Poole each week!

Get answers to your questions about Sardinia