We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Holiday - Costa Verde and Iglesiente

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Advice on Holiday - Costa Verde and Iglesiente

Hi,

My and my girlfriend are wanting to have a weeks holiday in Sardinia in July. Not been before, but from looking at pictures of places to go we would like to be near coste Verde or Iglesiente - pictures look amazing.

Where would you reccommend? And what would be the best area to stay to get access to either of these areas?

Essentially, we are looking for a weeks holiday in beautiful surroundings. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Holiday - Costa Verde and Iglesiente

Hi DS!

Do you mean the southwest coast of Sardinia? Neither I nor google earth seem to be able to find Iglesiente....did you mean Iglesias? If so, you're certainly right: that's an amazingly beautiful area (although, I must say, MOST of Sardinia is amazingly beautiful!).

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g1485417-Buggerru_Pr…

It's also a pretty wild and undeveloped area so there are few places to stay, and even fewer that have been reviewed on TA. Check out lodging in Portoscuso or Buggerru:

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g1485417-Rev…

You will also find hotels in that area on Google Earth that are not reviewed here on TA, but then you're on your own for quality, etc.

What is it about that area that attracts your eye? There are lots of amazing choices in Sardinia for a week's holiday!

-Karl

Olbia
Level Contributor
601 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Holiday - Costa Verde and Iglesiente

"Iglesiente" is correct, it's the name of the area near Iglesias.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Holiday - Costa Verde and Iglesiente

Thanks for the replies. We are struggling to decide on where to go. i mentioned these place because we read they were beautiful places.

Where else would you reccomend. What are sant'antioco and san pietro like?

Also, i read about a hotel in San Pantaleo near Olbia, which sounded idylic, but in some of the books I have it describes this area as dated and souless!

Given how expensive a holiday in Sardinia can be, I want to try find some of the best places to go.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Holiday - Costa Verde and Iglesiente

Hi DS!

Certainly there are lots of Sadinian locals who can give you great advice, so I can relay only our own experiences.

Like you, five years ago my wife and I were looking at amazing places to visit in the world and these amazing photos of Sardinia kept popping up! We decided "let's go there!" and spend a week in May exploring the island. We loved it so much we returned the following Fall, and have been there one other time since, each time renting a car and exploring different parts of the island for a week or so. As I have on my photo webpage:

Top 10 reasons why Sardinia...

1. It's really beautiful!

2. It's off the beaten path.

3. It is not included in most tourist guides to Italy.

4. It's chock full of archeological sites, having been occupied by every civilization that swept over the Mediterranean for the last 6000 years.

5. The people are very friendly!

6. You can ride horses to go see little wild horses!

7. Beautiful mountains and pristine beaches.

8. Excellent seafood!

9. Excellent cheeses!

10. Mirto!

We have traveled throughout Italy (throughout the world, really) and Sardinia is one of my favorite places.

You can read my reviews to see places we have stayed in Sardinia that we enjoyed, but some memorable ones were: B&B Stazzi La China in the north, near Luogosanto, Ca' la Somara, near Arzachena, and Il Girasole in Cagliari.

http://www.eskimo.com/~noir/italy/sardinia.html

Some wonderful things we did that I appreciate years later, in no particular order: riding horses on the Giara di Gesturi plateau, surrounded by Chamomile in bloom and wild horses; exploring the 4000 year old ruins of Su Nuraxi; joining in the island celebration of their patron saint, Sant'Efisio, in Cagliari for a three day extravaganza!; exploring the wild mountainous interior in Gennargentu national park; swimming in the crystal clear/turquoise waters of La Maddalena; watching the sunset one the beach at Stintino. It was all good. No disappointments anywhere!

Now for some opinions (only my own) about some of the things you mentioned. I personally did not enjoy San Panteleo. Although nice scenery, and I'm sure it was once very cute, it felt (to me) like it has been gentrified/obtained/remodeled by a crowd richer than I. Ditto for Porto Cervo. Just my experience, perhaps others (Lilli?) can indicate otherwise. I have heard from friends that San Pietro is quite beautiful, and worth a visit. We did not find Sardinia to be particularly expensive. Perhaps because we tend to go there on the shoulders of the high season (May and September). For dinners we tend to eat more at the local restaurants with amazing house cannonau wines rather than in the pricey tourist oriented restaurants.

What kinds of things do you enjoy doing? From that perhaps we can give more directed suggestions.

-Karl

Olbia
Level Contributor
601 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Holiday - Costa Verde and Iglesiente

I agree with Karlitos.

If I were you I would go to the Iglesiente area (Buggerru etc). The area of the old mines is very interesting with a very enjoyable countryside that you won't find anywhere else in Sardinia. Try to find some b&b, I am sure the local communities will benefit from some visitors as economically it is a very depressed area.

Also visit Teulada, the sea is of a colour that you can't find anywhere else. There is a military base there unfortunately (which we hope it will close one day - the sooner the better) but in the summer some of the beaches are open to everyone. The village of Teulada is nothing special but the surrounding area is. Also Carloforte has its attractions but for me its an island in the island and a little claustrophobic (one day there is enough).

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Holiday - Costa Verde and Iglesiente

We went to Carloforte via Sant'Antioco and stayed only for two nights with the car rented at Cagliari Airport. We loved it. Couldn't stay longer because arranged reservation in Santu Lussurgiu but wished to stay longer as its not boaring at all. Some of the famous italian VIP have abandoned the Amalfi coast to live their breaks there understatedly.

7. Re: Advice on Holiday - Costa Verde and Iglesiente

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:16