We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we go? Greatly needed help, please, please, please!

Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Should we go? Greatly needed help, please, please, please!

My husband and I honeymooned in Italy and are going back for our 15 year anniversary in June 2013. We wanted to do something relaxing after touring Rome for 3 nights/4 days. We were thinking of catching the overnight ferry from Rome to Sardinia. We would have 2 nights to spend in Sardinia and then we would take the overnight ferry to Livorno. That would give us 3 full days in Sardinia. I want to explore the beaches. The pictures of the beaches look heavenly. Is this enough time or would you do something else such as, the amalfi coast? Or even Cinque Terre? The Moby line doesn't depart from Rome on the day would be going (Tuesday) but Tirrenia ferries do but I am having trouble navigating their website. Should I book the tickets for the ferry online, use a travel agent, or wait to book from the ticketing agencies when I get to Rome? I am surprised that none of my Italy guide books have anything on Sardinia! After Sardinia we would spend 5 days in Tuscany and this would include touring Florence. Then we would head to Venice for 3 nights. I just don't know if I am trying to do to much. I would greatly appreciate any information or advice.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Livorno
Livorno
Province of Livorno, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Tirrenia
Tirrenia
Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we go? Greatly needed help, please, please, please!

I LOVE Sardinia, but it does sound like it might be too much. We have been there on two trips, each for about 8 days. I think it's an interesting enough place to give it some time, and worry that you might lose too much in the travel to and from.

Given the rest of your itinerary I might suggest saving Sardinia for another trip, and give those days to another segment. E.g., spend a few days in the Tuscan countryside. Will your interior portion include some car rental? That's really the best way to see a lot of the sights (e.g., Tuscan Hill Towns, vineyards, etc.).

-Karl

Mentioned in this post
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we go? Greatly needed help, please, please, please!

P.s., by "we've been there" I mean Sardinia. In other trips we have visited Rome, Abruzzo, Le Marche, Emilia Romagna, Assisi, Ravenna, Urbino, Padua, Venice, Milan, Como, Bellagio, & Tuscany (cities and countryside). But we usually pick 2 (at most 3) spots per trip. Minimizes time spent traveling, packing, unpacking, etc.

-K

Edited: 10 December 2012, 01:24
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Marche
Marche
Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Province of Perugia, Italy
Ravenna
Ravenna
Province of Ravenna, Italy
Urbino
Urbino
Province of Pesaro and Urbino, Italy
Padua
Padua
Province of Padua, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we go? Greatly needed help, please, please, please!

Thank you for your reply Karlitos. We are going to stay in Tuscany for 5 days. We are going to rent a car and I am doing my research on accommodations near Greve and other towns in the Chianti area. I was hoping to get some beach time but you've confirmed what was making me hesitate on going to Sardinia during this trip.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we go? Greatly needed help, please, please, please!

Hi!

Here's another thought where you could still have some time along Sardinia's crystal clear beaches.

Each time we have visited Sardinia, we flew from Roma (Fiumicino) to Olbia. It looks like June round trips are running about $140-150 each. Not bad really, since the flight is under a hour and you don't spend all that time on the ferry.

The first trip we flew into Olbia, rented a car (cute little airport, with a bunch of car rentals right there), and drove to our B&B called Ca la Somara. Here is my review:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g194675-d310…

A second trip we flew into Olbia from Rome, rented the car and drove a bit further and stayed at the wonderful Stazzi La China ("The Ridge"). My review is here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g663800-d640744…

Both were exceptionally great places to stay. Both are a few minutes drive to the coast.

Here are some of our Sardinia photos:

flickr.com/photos/…

Between the two, I would stay at La China. I loved the fireplace, the loft bedroom and the STUNNING views from the room of the valley below. Take a look at my photos in my review. And Simona was such a kind and thoughtful host I would love to see her again. Like visiting a friend in Sardinia.

So: If you would like some beach time, and don't mind flying instead of driving, this could work!

-Karl

Edited: 10 December 2012, 04:25
Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino
Fiumicino
Province of Rome, Italy
Olbia
Olbia
Sardinia, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we go? Greatly needed help, please, please, please!

Thank you for your advice Karl. Flying is something to consider.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
753 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we go? Greatly needed help, please, please, please!

you could also fly from Rome to Alghero with Ryanair, then fly from Alghero to Pisa to enjoy your trip in Tuscany.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Alghero
Alghero
Sardinia, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
7. Re: Should we go? Greatly needed help, please, please, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 23:17