We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice about where to stay in the south of the island?

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Advice about where to stay in the south of the island?

My wife and I are planning a 10 day holiday in early july flying into cagliari. We visited the north last year (baia de sardinia & alghero) and looking for advice regarding resorts to stay in the south.

We enjoyed the laid back resort of baia de sardinia with nice restaurants overlooking the bay but glad we never spent more than 3 nights as it is quite a small resort. We then spent 4 nights in alghero and we loved the old town at night as it was much bigger with more going on and a great selection of restaurants. During the day we liked to lie by the pool/ beech.

We would prefer to do something similar this time with a 2 or 3 centred holiday and looking for suggestions for resorts to stay which have a similar vibe to alghero at night. Any suggestions on resorts or hotels would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Newport, Gwent
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice about where to stay in the south of the island?

Hello, I'm sorry I can't give you any advice, but wanted your thoughts, as you've been to Sardinia before. I want to go for 10 days at the end of July, with my wife & 17 year old son, so looking for a 'lively' resort with activities, shopping, a bit of nightlife. Also looking for a good 4/5* resort with decent facilities and good quality food. Any suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice about where to stay in the south of the island?

The two resorts we stayed at were great but the more lively resort was alghero which has plenty of restaurants, bars etc to sit and watch the world go by. it has the old town which has the narrow cobbled streets with shops and has a great selection of restaraunts in the little piazza's and all along the old city walls which overlook the sea. We stayed at the carlos V hotel which was very good. it has a large pool area, good modern rooms, and great views sea views if you want to pay for them. we only ate breakfast there but couldn't fault it. Some of the staff could do with a reminder that they are in the hospitality industry as some of them (particularly at the poolside bar) had a bit of attitude. Having said that, it wouldn't stop me from staying there again as most of the staff were great. It is a 10 min walk to the old town along the sea front and there are bars dotted along the way which make it a pleasant stroll in to the old town....best wishes!

Olbia
Level Contributor
601 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice about where to stay in the south of the island?

There is not another place like Alghero in Sardinia, however, you could try and do some research on these locations and see if they offer what you are looking for:

San Teodoro, Cala Gonone, Tortoli/Arbatax, Pula, Oristano is ptretty, similar size to Alghero but a little quiet perhaps. And of course Cagliari.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice about where to stay in the south of the island?

The Forte Village in St. Margherita di Pula is the kind of resort more similar to those ones build around the Costa Smeralda although we preferred to blend with the locals staying in an old mine site with restaurant and museum which is Villaggio Minerario Rosas. From there it was easy to reach the coastal town of Porto Pino or visit the Santadi Grotto.

If you look at TA reviews, can notice the only one in english is our.

Sardinia, Italy
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice about where to stay in the south of the island?

Try the area of Chia/Pula or Villasimius, they have similar hotel/resorts.

Ciao

Luca

sardiniapass.com

Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice about where to stay in the south of the island?

Are there any crowded/ lively beaches in the south? We are also planning a trip in first week of October and dont want to be the only people on the beach

7. Re: Advice about where to stay in the south of the island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 05:17