We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible itinerary...any thoughts...

Level Contributor
7,620 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Possible itinerary...any thoughts...

I have decided that Sardinia will be our next adventure. We enjoy atmospheric towns, boutique hotels where we can walk to most places including some beach...generally like to feel we have found something a bit off the radar. For this trip we will be not be renting a car...yes I know it is better...but we are not so please don't tell me I need to. Prefer to settle into a few spots and really get to know a place. So far I am interested in spending time in Alghero, Bosa and The Maddalena Archipelago. Not interested in the exclusive area of the coast...am fine with other coasts. I would ask hotels to get a driver or organize transportation from each to the other. We are coming from US and need to figure out how to get there and there is a possiblity we may have to come into Caligari in the south. We have about 10 days maybe more and will be late May. Probably fly rather than the ferry crossing but again not sure. Right now just wondering if these three spots make sense to anyone but me...of course we can take day trips from each depending on what we find. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible itinerary...any thoughts...

There are several ways to approach this itinerary. One possibility:

1. Fly from Rome FCO (connecting from North America) to OLBIA.

2. Airport bus or taxi to Olbia bus depot**

** There is a direct TURMO TRAVEL bus from Olbia Airport to Palau at 10:25, avoiding the connection at the Olbia bus depot.

gruppoturmotravel.com/Linea-Olbia-STeresa-In…

3. ARST bus to Palau

4. Ferry to La Maddalena

5. Ferry back to Palau

6. ARST bus to S. Teresa di Gallura (very nice drive)

7. ARST bus to Castelsardo/Sassari (scenic coastal drive)

8. ARST bus from Sassari to Alghero

9. ARST bus from Alghero to Bosa (scenic coastal drive)

10. Return to mainland Italy by plane from Alghero airport

Optional Extension of itinerary south to Oristano and Cagliari:

10. ARST bus to Oristano via Cuglieri (scenic drive in parts)

11. Overnight in Oristano to visit town (Cathedral & Museum)

12. Oristano to Cagliari airport by Trenitalia train

13. Fly back to mainland Italy from CAG

If you were to take the overnight ferry from Civitavecchia to Sardinia, the best port of entry is CAGLIARI, because the scenery during the final approach and docking operations is spectacular (you will find some videos on You Tube, and I have done it myself). By contrast, docking at Olbia is dreary.

www.arst.sardegna.it

www.sardegnamobilita.it

www.saremar.it

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible itinerary...any thoughts...

Sorry: if you were to extend the itinerary south to Cagliari, the plan would include at least one or two nights in the capital city; otherwise, there is little point in travelling from Bosa to Oristano and Cagliari just to fly back to the Italian mainland. You might as well go back to Alghero airport (which is much closer).

Level Contributor
7,620 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible itinerary...any thoughts...

Thanks GAC...I think I'm going to try to keep it in the North but can you tell me how long it is driving from Cagilari to Bosa? Just trying to get an idea. Also I find this strange...I wanted to see if the Rome-Olbia ferry might be an option as 5 hours is not awful if the ship is decent and you don't have to deal wtih the airports...but when I went to Moby lines and put in my potential date...coming back is okay but it says:

" Several crossings per week

Duration: 5h - 5h 30mins (daytime)

Operation

16 april - 4 may and 29 may - 28 september"

Do you know what is happening between 4 may and 29 May? Is there another company during that time or what?

Thanks.

London
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible itinerary...any thoughts...

Hi gene

I presume you realise that by going to Sardinia by Ferry may save you "dealing with the airports" , but will leave you facing transferring to Civitavecchia from Rome either by train or an hour long taxi ride. At Civitavecchia you may have to walk the length of the port to board your boat.

Moby are probably the most efficient ferry company, but the ferries are often delayed and the crossing times are not carved in stone.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible itinerary...any thoughts...

The Moby ferry schedules from Civitavecchia to Olbia for 2014 are different from previous years, to the best of my memory. Apparently, this year, Moby is offering crossings on this route for the Easter period, then suspending service until the end of May (which is when crossings began in previous years).

IF you are travelling directly to Sardinia from the United States (without stopping in Rome), I would discourage you from going to the considerable trouble of going to Civitavecchia to take the daylight crossing to Olbia. This will waste a LOT of time. Instead, I recommend taking a connecting flight from FCO to Olbia.

However, IF you are staying overnight in Rome and definitely want to take a ferry to Sardinia, I would recommend the overnight ferry to Cagliari, for three reasons:

1. You don't waste a day, and save the cost of one hotel night; and

2. Arriving into Cagliari Harbor in the early morning is a very beautiful and memorable experience, and a fantastic way to start out a Sardinian vacation.

3. Cagliari is a very interesting city and well worth a stay of one or two days. Also, the beautiful Roman ruins of Nora are only an hour's drive south of Cagliari (there is frequent ARST bus service to Pula, then a connecting shuttle bus to the ruins, or you can walk a flat and pretty 3 kilometers along asphalted sidewalks.

Bosa to Oristano is two hours by ARST bus. Timetables are found in table 703 on the ARST website.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 13:25
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible itinerary...any thoughts...

The unreserved regionale train between Cagliari and Oristano takes anywhere from 55 to 100 minutes each way. Add another two hours by bus between Oristano and Bosa, plus connection time between the trains and bus stations in Oristano. (The idea of going to Oristano is also to visit the town).

Tirrenia Lines maintains daily year-round ferry crossings between Civitavecchia and Olbia, although during the month of May, all crossings are overnight (7.5 hours).

www.tirrenia.it

Both the Moby and the Tirrenia ferries are very, very large and modern ships.

Level Contributor
7,620 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible itinerary...any thoughts...

Thank you...I think I will pass on the ferry and stay focused on using air. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible itinerary...any thoughts...

for ferries i found this helpful when i visited the island

http://www.sardegna.com/en/ferries-sardinia/

9. Re: Possible itinerary...any thoughts...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 05:17