We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cagliari or Alghero as home base in mid-October?

Toronto
Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Cagliari or Alghero as home base in mid-October?

Hello,

We will be spending 4 nights in Sardinia in mid-October 2014 and I am wondering which city is better for a home-base. We will have a car. Any advice on if we should stay in 1 city the whole time (with day trips around the island) or should we break it up with 2 nights in each?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice.

I should also add that we are most interested in great local food and exploring the sights. The beaches are less important on our list. :)

Edited: 19 March 2014, 14:25
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cagliari or Alghero as home base in mid-October?

You can't tour the whole island by car with only one base. Alghero is much more "touristy" than Cagliari, but Cagliari has much more art, architecture and history on display (Archeological Museum, etc.). With a car, you could easily fill four full days regardless of which base you select. I would choose based on your personal interests, and the daytrips which most appeal to you (e.g. Nora in the south versus Castelardo and Bosa in the north). Alghero has a very beautiful situation, but Cagliari is a more engrossing city.

Toronto
Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cagliari or Alghero as home base in mid-October?

Thank you so much for your quick reply and advice. Do you think there is a "better" place to make our home base? I am not against spending 2 nights in each just with such a short time I would like to get the most out of this trip. Is either place better-known for their food?

Thank you again. :)

3. Re: Cagliari or Alghero as home base in mid-October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 06:24
Get answers to your questions about Sardinia