We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to be for authentic / relaxed Sardinia?

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
373 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to be for authentic / relaxed Sardinia?

Hi

I'm looking to book a holiday for my husband and I at the beginning of June. I'm confused as to the best area's/towns to stay for a bit of relaxation but where you're still able to get about and see the best of the local culture.

We like local culture and architecture, good views, good local food, getting to the sea (as long as it's not overcrowded) and places which are not too touristy.

Please can some one suggest a few places we could look at for this sort of thing?

Thanks a lot

Liz

Dea del Mare ShardanaSail
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Hire, Speed Boats Tours
Guide Sardinia
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Day Trips, Private Tours
Sardinia Magic Experience
Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to be for authentic / relaxed Sardinia?

Hi Liz,

for sure I would like to suggest to you the island of Sant 'Antioco (my place of birth), a small island connected by a bridge to the south-west of Sardinia. It is located at 80km of the airport of Cagliari.

Here you will encounter among other things, virgin beaches, untamed countryside, spectacular salt flats dotted with flamingos, rare migratory and hunting birds and other wildlife, all set against a back drop of the stunning colours of Sant’Antioco’s emerald sea.

You can read the fascinating story of our land, in the stones of the Nuraghi, in the excavated antique ceramics and captivating jewellery of the Phoenicians.

You can savour the authentic and genuine flavours of our island, noted for its abundance of fresh seafood, including specialities such as La Bottarga, shellfish and many other delicacies found in the surrounding seas.

You will find all this and so much more on the island of Sant’Antioco. A place we hope you will be tempted to discover, take your time to explore and will wish to return again and again.

Far away from the noise of mass tourism and pollution I think that here you can find the perfect holidays for you and your husband.

Mariella

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to be for authentic / relaxed Sardinia?

We have passed by Sant'Antioco during our 2010 Sardinia holiday. Without undervalueing Mariella's post, the Marmilla area is the place which we've found more scenic with the Giara Park, Las Plassas, mt. Arci, Barumini and Pau museum all in short distance from the base in Turri, agriturismo Su Massaiu.

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
373 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to be for authentic / relaxed Sardinia?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond Mariella and Aussies11. I'll review you're recommendations shortly, it really helps as I haven't a clue and there are so many options.

Any other ideas or suggested itinariaries gratefully received!

Thanks again and have a wonderful day.

Liz

Portisco, Italy
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to be for authentic / relaxed Sardinia?

The island of Sant'Antioco is quite far to be considered "authentic" Sardinia, because historically and culturally is not related with the rest of Sardinia, even part of peoples living there haven't sardinian origin, the island was colonized by ligurians in the 18th century, and thousands years ago by the phoenicians.

The authentic Sardinia is farthest from the coasts!

Edited: 08 May 2014, 18:34
Tempio Pausania...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to be for authentic / relaxed Sardinia?

I agree with Christian M, Sant'Antioco has nothing to spare with Sardinian culture, that isle is famous for its Northern Italian settlements and for its Phoenician colonies, as a whole SW Sardinia is the less authentic area in Sardinia, it's historically a mining territory where live expecially immigrants from Italian mainland (Lombardy, Sicily, Naples, Abruzzo..) ...if you want to know real Sardinia you should avoid the coast and visit the inland.

Areas like Mejlogu, Planargia and Anglona in the NW are plenty of pictoresque medieval villages, romaneque abbeys and megalithic towers...and you should visit also Barbagia, the wildest mountanous territory with its ancient and pagan traditions.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to be for authentic / relaxed Sardinia?

I just read your beautiful description of your island. Is it a good place to visit in early sept? We love the idea of the island for hotel. Wondering if it is far from where the wild horses as well as small towns are?

We love wild life and enjoy most modern conveniences..Will we need a tour guide.. I know I have lots of questions and I appreciate any help with planning this vacation. We are from Naples, Florida, USA.

We are arriving to London and we are cking out flights as well. Your help is very appreciated.

Thank you

Ina

Naples, Fl

Tempio Pausania...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to be for authentic / relaxed Sardinia?

end of august and early september are the driest periods, honestly I think Spring and Autumn are the best periods of the year for planning a travel to Sardinia unless your interest is just beach life.

About wild horses, you can find them in the isle Asinara, the national park on the NW tip of Sardinia or in the Giara di Gesturi, the plateau in the south of the island.

Milan, Italy
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to be for authentic / relaxed Sardinia?

Hi Liz,

I would like to suggest you the island of Ogliastra near the cost of Lotzorai, a small and beautiful town. Near Lotzorai there are beautiful beaches like Pollu Beach, Iscrixedda beach or Isula Munna. The sea isn clean and the beach are golden and clean. People are generous and welcoming. Last year I was here with my! I had known the beauty of Ogliastra thanks a book guide that I bought before to go in Sardinia. Hope you enjoy your holidays!

9. Re: Best area to be for authentic / relaxed Sardinia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 15:05
10. Re: Best area to be for authentic / relaxed Sardinia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 07:16