We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling all Sardinia Experts!

York
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Calling all Sardinia Experts!

Apologies in advance if my question has already been covered - I've searched but haven't found my answer but please direct me to the relevant post if necessary...

We have flights to Alghero and will hire a car. We are looking for a good hotel preferably within walking distance of a good beach, although I know we can also drive to many others. The west coast seems to have less hotels than the east and north - we don't mind a couple of hours drive form the hotel so should we be looking at the northern coast?

Any suggestions greatdfully received as it is difficult to know what is out there and how long it takes to drive to other regions.

thanks

Angela

ps. we are a couple in desperate need for a relaxing quiet break so not really looking for lots to do, just good beaches to relax on.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling all Sardinia Experts!

Hi, I'm not a Sardinia expert but if all you want is a good beach for a relaxing break at 1 hour drive south from Alghero airport is Bosa on the west coast:

www.goingtosardinia.com/destinations/bosa.htm

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling all Sardinia Experts!

www.sardegna.com

Alghero pretty quiet has beautiful beaches all the way to the Blue Grotto a must see for me.We preferred to stay in town a block or 2 from the beach city centre at

Hotel Angedras from 89eu/nt very clean nice value

Costa Smeralda has prettiest beaches head over there

if you have the time

Have Fun,

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling all Sardinia Experts!

There are a lot of luxury hotels in Costa Smeralda and if that's your price range you won't be disapointed.

Near Alghero (closer to Fertilla) Hotel Dei Pini http://www.hoteldeipini.it/ and Hotel Punta Negra http://www.hotelpuntanegra.it/ are both located by very nice beaches and if you have a car there is the option to explore Alghero and other towns in the area, there's also a bus to Alghero.

My sister stayed in Hotel Relax Torreruja near Isola Rosa and Castelsardo and said it was nice. Check out the reviews on TA to see if any of these would be what you're looking for.

Roma
Level Contributor
581 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling all Sardinia Experts!

Since you're flying to Alghero you may as well stay in that area, it has a lot to offer! You have quite some choice since you have a car and can move around. I stayed at the Punta Negra Hotel for short periods twice this summer, in July and August, and wrote of review of te hotel on this board. Keep in mind it is a fairly expensive one, but the price-to-quality ratio is rewarding, IMO. Hotel Punta Negra is a fantastic place to relax, from where to make 1/2 day of full day excursions. But it is costly nevertheless. Hotel dei Pini, which stands in the bay next to Punta Negra, is definitively not as nice as Hotel Punta Negra but it stands on a nicer beach and the water is more beautiful there, in the area called "Le Bombarde". If you decide to stay at Punta Negra you can still walk to Le Bombarde beach anyway, it takes about 10 to 15 minutes on a trail among the trees, starting directly from the hotel.

A must see in the area is "Capo Caccia", a very scenic place 15 minutes away from Alghero by car, the western most cape of Sardinia, I believe.

Another gorgeous beach is of course Stintino, 30 km north, but it is very crowded in August. You can make boat trips to island "Asinara" from there, the island is protected, "nature wise". You will find accomodation in Stintino. Driving from Porto Torres towards Castelsardo along the coast (north east) and to Santa Teresa di Gallura could be another nice experience, along the "Costa Paradiso". There are several nice spots there, including Capo "Testa", in Santa Teresa, an amazing cape with its "valley of the moon", where the romans used to cave granite.

In the end, I suggest you stick to the area of Alghero up to Stintino or Santa Teresa maximum, but not farther away. The town of alghero in itself is small but nice and the city has a very long and beautiful beach. Stintino has wonderful beaches and sea water, more simple accomodation. Costa Paradiso (NE of Alghero) has its nice spots, ending in Santa Teresa and Capo Testa. Costa Smeralda will be for the next trip maybe, when arriving in Olbia!

York
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling all Sardinia Experts!

Thanks guys, that is most useful. It is hard to search the hotel reviews as I don't know the names of the regions (other than the obvious categories of 'Alghero'!) and it is always hard to know how far you may end up driving to get somewhere!!!

Just checking out all these new area's now, thanks.

ps...... if anyone else has some suggestions for hotels, we really love to get a flavour of the local way of life, not commercial tourist trails!

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling all Sardinia Experts!

I have not stayed at the Hotel dei Pini (mentioned by EamonnC above) but it is situted right at the waters edge of one of the most beautiful beaches in Sardinia (Bombarde), with wonderful snorkelling in a few feet of water right off the beach. It is 10 minutes from the airport and an easy drive (again 10 minutes) into Alghero. Don't know what the food is like there but it would be shame to have half board and miss out on all the wonderful eating opportunities in Alghero and in the countryside even closer to the hotel.

7. Re: Calling all Sardinia Experts!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 12:22
Get answers to your questions about Alghero