We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storm damage

Kent
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Storm damage

While staying in Algehro this month we experienced a freak storm on Friday the 12th.It caused considerable local damage and closed the arport for a while disrupting flights on Saturday morning.All ok now but i am concerned about a safety issue at the Hotel Soleado.The storm damaged 2 upper floor balconies leaving railings and masonry hanging over the pool terrace.The railing have been lashed together but loose and cracked masonry is directly above the pool and terrace which is still in use.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Storm damage

storms in august, are normal all over Italy - not 'freak'. In September.. well, it's all a bit later this year... global warming they tell us...

as for the storm damage... if it's dangerous, that's for the local council/fire station/police to sort out, I would imagine...

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Corfu
Level Contributor
881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Storm damage

Hi Tony24,

We had not long arrived before the storm started, I'd hate to think the damage this freak storm caused was classed as normal! ie building damage and trees uprooted. Fortunately we were inside a cafe on the seafront at the time of the storm and were able to witness the mayhem and drama from the safety of indoors...along with a very large crowd who ran into the cafe for shelter.

The sky had become very very dark, a very powerful wind suddenly blasted down the street...it gathered tables, chairs and umbrellas along the way as it built up speed. The rain lashed down next...I'd say it was almost monsoon conditions! Such drama so soon after we arrived, it was shown on the tv for days...or is this normal with local tv?

Arillas.

Kent
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Storm damage

Thanks for confirming my original post Arillas,glad to know you witnessed the storm and came through it unscathed.I have seen many storms in the Med at this time of year but this was in no way normal - as could be seen by the local tv coverage.Hope it did not give you the wrong impression of Alghero which is a lovely place to stay.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Corfu
Level Contributor
881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Storm damage

Tony we only just returned from Sardinia last night and yet we are already talking of returning! Alghero is in complete contrast to our usual holiday destination...which amazingly enough is called Arillas!

We had planned to do so much, including a few walks and driving tours from the Sunflower book, but instead we only managed to drive as far as Bosa in one direction and Castelsardo in the other.

Like yourself we have witnessed many late season storms, last year the road outside our house in Arillas was turned into a river taking much of the tarmac with it. I'd say that it was the ferocity of the wind that caused the damage in Alghero.

Global warming certainly has a lot to answer for. We had non-stop rain for 3 days here in Scotland just before we left for Alghero. The little stream that runs along the bottom of our garden turned into a minature River Tweed and swept away 15 feet of our garden along with 1 plum and 1 apple tree! The upside is that it does mean less lawn to mow now.;-)

Arillas.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Storm damage

I agree with tony, for us it was quite freak and although it was expected, we did'nt expect its so strong and too cause so much distruction in a short space of time!! The airport opened again on Saturday at about midday, but I know that the arrivals hall remained closed for a few days more as the roof was badly damaged. I have been passed the hotel Soleado but had not noticed the damage.

6. Re: Storm damage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Alghero