We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Alghero the best place to stay on the island?

cork
8 posts
Save Topic
Is Alghero the best place to stay on the island?

We are planning a short break (4 days) in Sardinia in mid February and were wondering what would be the best place to base ourselves. We are flying into Alghero and were going to hire a car from the airport there and drive around the island every day. Any suggestions as to whether this sounds like a good idea or not?

Also we were going to book Carlos V or Villa las Tronas but would like somewhere that wouldn't be too much of a walk into town in the evenings....I think that Carlos V is marginally nearer??? Maybe???

Any help/suggestions would be really appreciated!

Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Alghero the best place to stay on the island?

lnlh,

Your idea is excellent and is exactly the way to see the island.

Of the two, Villa Las Tronas is the better of the two hotels and is marginally nearer the Old Town - an 8 minute walk along the promenade.

Good Luck.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Alghero the best place to stay on the island?

There is about a 10 minute walk between them not much really. Carlos is the modern hotel where as Villas Las Tronas has the nicer location and I can imagine rooms with breaktaking sea views. Can't really go wrong with either to be fare, a lovely stroll along the promenade in the evenings is very pleasurable even in February, don't forget to watch the sunset.

cork
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Alghero the best place to stay on the island?

Thank you both so much for your valuable insight! Soooo looking forward to exploring the island. What temperatures can we expect in mid-Feb? Just wondering whether we should be packing jumpers and jeans or (hopefully!)lighter clothes??

Many thanks again for your help, it is really appreciated.

LNLH

Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Alghero the best place to stay on the island?

lnlh,

February can be a funny month - often rainy and cool(not cold), yet often sunny, with temperatures out of the wind at around 70F.

Warm clothes are recommended.

Good Luck.

London
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Alghero the best place to stay on the island?

i would plan for jumpers and jeans. I would say that February is one of the most wintry months in Sardinia

suffolk
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Alghero the best place to stay on the island?

As Centro Storico says February can be variable and it really is difficult to predict the weather with any degree of accuracy.When I lived on the Island we had some strange experiences with the weather and particularly in February.

One year my son got badly sunburned just by being in the garden playing for a few hours.A few days later we had a dusting of snow which my friend said was the first for 28 years.

It can be lovely and sunny during the day but temperatures drop quite dramatically when the sun goes down.You may well get the chance to wear light clothing in daytime but warm clothing will almost certainly be needed for the evenings.You will probably notice the locals dressed in coats and scarves even during the day with temperatures as high as 70F.

You could save youself a few euros by hiring your car away from the airport,the hire companies in town tend to be a fair bit cheaper.There is a frequent bus service from the airport into town and back which costs less than 1 euro

You have chosen the best way to get around and see the Island and I am sure you will enjoy regardless of the weather.Do pack some sun block and hope you have to use it.Have a great trip.

7. Re: Is Alghero the best place to stay on the island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 09:19
Get answers to your questions about Alghero
Recent Conversations