We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is Alghero so quiet?

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Why is Alghero so quiet?

I have the opportunity to spend 2 or 3 months away this summer, and someone suggested Alghero. I thought I'd check it out so I arrived yesterday and am staying for 4 days.

The place is perfect for me with one small exception: where is everyone? I know its not yet summer but I thought it would be a little busier. Last night I was walking around the old town but the streets were virtually empty and the bars were completely empty. By 11pm almost everything was closed and I was forced to head home.

There are lots of bars and restaurants, and hundreds of boats in the harbour so I guess it will pick up soon..? Or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places? Whilst I'm not looking for Ibiza, I was still expecting a few trendy bars open til late.. Can anyone tell me where I should be looking?

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is Alghero so quiet?

Hi,

We have friends from Alghero and they tell us that things don't really liven up until July. Even June can be quiet, and I can testify to that cause we were there in June. It is because it is mainly an Italian holiday destination and they don't start taking there holidays until July building up to mass occupation in August.

Cheers

Mutiny

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is Alghero so quiet?

its quiet because May is a nice warm month and perfect for anybody who wants a relaxing holiday, however June marks the begining of the season. I have seen already evening markets and heard a concert in the evening, a good sign that there are people about.

North-East Sardinia
Level Contributor
284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is Alghero so quiet?

The answer is that in Sardinia touristic season is lasting only 2months and a half.

Until the first half of june it doesn't start.

When school is over everybody plans his own holidays.

In august most offices and industries close so the majority of italian tourist choose 2-3 weeks in august as their holidays.

Who can choose between july and august choose july because not high season ora june or september and save a lot of money.

In may if you go to Porto Cervo 1 boutique / 3 is still closed an you can find people that still clean up their windows and still prepare their opening.

Alghero is one of the few places in Sardinia where tourism is not only august an july because of its airport that has a lot of cheap flights (low cost) during all the year and because has a population of 44000 so bar and restaurants and open for residents even in winter. Obviuosly during summer holidays increases it all but for the month of may I think Alghero is surely the best served town for tourists.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is Alghero so quiet?

I haven't been for just over a year, but I was there in April last year and found that The Mill on Via Maiorca was open until 2am at the weekends and 12 during the week.

Plus it was only a minute "stumble" back to the apartment!!!

Also at weekends there was a bar just opposite The Jamaica Inn that was open until 3am. I think it was called The Tunnel Bar or something...

London
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is Alghero so quiet?

Thanks for all the replies - way quicker than I expected!

Alghero is truly a lovely place, and I think that in high season it would be an amazing place for me to visit. There are no shortage of great looking restaurants and bars, and I could imagine myself not wanting to leave. But, at the moment it's just a little too quiet for me. Although all of the bars are open, they're pretty much deserted in the evenings.

When I travel alone I usually look for a friendly bar, give the waitresses a good tip and bleed them for information on where to go. If anyone needs any advice, all you need to do is head for the Cafe Latino (free WiFi) drink a beer and chat to the girls.

As for me, I'm going to check out Syracuse (Sicily) next week and then Marbella (Spain) the week after.

Ciao

"All I ask is the chance to prove that money can’t make me happy." Spike Milligan

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is Alghero so quiet?

Save yourself the trouble of going to Syracuse. It is not a resort; it does not have the kind of night life you seem to be looking for.

Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is Alghero so quiet?

Pistoffen,

Hopefully you noticed a difference last night, just about every restaurant in town was full all night.

Good Luck

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is Alghero so quiet?

I notice the difference now when I can't find a parking space at 11 p.m when I finish work.

9. Re: Why is Alghero so quiet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Alghero