We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sardinian food -the real stuff not the pizza by the yard'

Which Alghero hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
essex, england
Level Contributor
42 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Sardinian food -the real stuff not the pizza by the yard'

Arriving 15th June on a second visit to Alghero ,While I appreciate this is a popular destination for 'Euro' holiday makers who like euro food ,and I consume a lot it myself, are there any places serving more rustic/honest, true Sardinian/Italian fare ? Interested in the whole range from tiny simple places through to top of the range eateries.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sardinian food -the real stuff not the pizza by the yard'

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187880-s501/Alghero:…

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sardinian food -the real stuff not the pizza by the yard'

I sugguest to try Agriturismos there are many to choose from in and around Alghero, the most popular one in the guide books is Sa Mandra just past the airport. However the style of cooking and sardinian food on offer is pratically the same whichever you choose. I have heard good things also about the Le Coccinelle, Loc. Sa Segada, 15, a 10 minute drive from Alghero, although I have not been personally.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sardinian food -the real stuff not the pizza by the yard'

Because so much of Tripadvisor is in English it can give the wrong impression. Alghero does have tourists from all over Europe but over 80% of them come from Italy - so the restaurants are catering for tourists - but Italian tourists. And yes you will find them packing out the excellent metre of pizza restaurants rubbing shoulders with the locals as well as the other Euros. But my two tips would be Mabrouk just behind the cathedral "Only fish only fresh only evenings" is their slogan and is effectively a fish agriturismo in the town. And at the other end of the spectrum you can sit with the locals for a lunchtime snack in the Focacceria opposite the port.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sardinian food -the real stuff not the pizza by the yard'

I do like a good pizza by the metre though! its making my mouth water talking about it!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sardinian food -the real stuff not the pizza by the yard'

I'm with you Maryredmill. Love the old metre of pizza. All the locals seem to as well so it's not necessarily a 'Euro' thing.

Cottons.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sardinian food -the real stuff not the pizza by the yard'

I am visiting in July and looking forward to trying the pizza by the metre..!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sardinian food -the real stuff not the pizza by the yard'

I'd second Mabrouk, it's absolutely stunning.

The old lady who owns it is a great character!! Her brother is a fisherman and whatever he catches ends up on the table that night. We didn't see a menu or anything, we sat down, were given a carafe of wine and before we knew it, loads of amazing seafood was being put in front of us!!

Fantastic!

8. Re: Sardinian food -the real stuff not the pizza by the yard'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 June 2009, 13:56
9. Re: Sardinian food -the real stuff not the pizza by the yard'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 June 2009, 16:11
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sardinian food -the real stuff not the pizza by the yard'

its just a light hearted discussion and a bit of fun, if it goes off the point theres no harm done...

Get answers to your questions about Alghero