We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Alghero! A little help needed

Which Alghero hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dunajska Streda...
1 post
Save Topic
First time in Alghero! A little help needed

Hello everyone,

we are flying to Alghero in June and would like to know which is the best way to get to Alghero from the Airport, taxi or bus? How much does it approx cost?

Second one, I would love to snorkel, which is the best beach to snorkel in? Should I take my own snorkelling kit or its best to buy there?

Last question, how much does car rental cost for a day there? We would like to explore the surroundings there.

Anything we should look out for?

We are very much looking forward to this trip, to the sandy beaches and delightful see food!

Wish you all a great day!

Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Alghero! A little help needed

Hi,

The answers to all your questions can be found in previous posts on this forum. Just use the search facility above and you will be taken to the ansers that you seek.

Good Luck.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Alghero! A little help needed

If you'll go to Bosa Marina by chance, you could rent the snorkeling equipment at the hostel

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Alghero! A little help needed

Easy. 1 Euro bus from airport to town center.

Very friendly place, so let the tourist office on the NE corner of old centro historico help you find a reasonable fire. Shop the big SISA coop across from the inferior Billa for best food and the central Mercator or open markets for best quality seafood, verdiras and formaggio.

This area is better for diving than snorkeling. Still, there are some sites on the "coral coast, or better be the Madellena or Smeralda areas, but they are fairly distant.

We rented from AutoEurope for 12 days at about 35 Euroe per day including admin surcharge. Nearby Bombarded beach is great but the 50 km drive to Spiagge la Pelosa near Stintino is worth it. Bella! Bring your own beverages (beer?) and lunch.

Finally, drive S. to Bosa and into the mountains for some world class scenery. We tried to stay close to Alghero, a Catalan gem set in a Sardegna setting rather than try to do everything.

Galway
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Alghero! A little help needed

Am going to Alghero in a few weeks. Any hotel recommendations? We would like a seaview.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Alghero! A little help needed

Check www.algheroturismo.it

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Alghero! A little help needed

The first language of native Algherans is Catalan, reflecting the influence trade and domination by Aragon in the 14th C. who gave the Genoese the boot. They lasted into the early 18th C., but Catalan influence is still prominent in "l'Alguer." the entire region is rich wirh evidence of pre-historic and early civilizations, and the numerous dominant city states and empires of the last thousand years in Europe. Don't miss the necropolis and numerous Nauraghe archeological sites in the countryside.

The winery north of town, Sella and Mosca, produces excellent fine and table reds, mostly from the Cannonau grape, better known as Grenache (not my favorite) which, when blended in the lower priced table wines, produces a more than acceptable buy. Whites from the Vermentino grape are very refreshing, and not much produced yet in the States, but are beginning to appear in So. Oregon, and other marine climate growing areas, or higher altitudes in the west.

The real risk in car rental are the tickets that follow you home. The government contracts out for the collection and they have up to one year to notify the renter. The citations are usually based on camera surveillance of areas such as restricted zones and the tariff is steep: 110 Euros each, plus the fees and currency charges that are charges by your bank or credit card company. If you contest the violation, the fine doubles! Since the rental agency has your credit account, the only escape is to cancel your credit card, a sure fire way to being chaos and possibly make travel to Italy more risky in the future. My cousin is married to a man from Alghero and strongly advises that a renter be vigilant about speed and zone restrictions which are well posted. And she advises that, should you get stung, PAY the fine promptly. You cannot win.

The advantage of a car, however, is access to some of the most remarkable beaches, historical sites and rural landscapes in the Mediterranean.

Bon voyage.

Sardinia, Italy
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Alghero! A little help needed

Hi there,

For snorkelling it would be great if you could reach Stintino and take a trip to the Asinara island. Both snorkelling and diving are fantastic over there because of the Marine Protected Area. You will have to go with a guide though and you can hite the equippment from them.

With regards to airport transfer, the bus is shorely the cheapest option but if you want to see a bit of the surrundings you will need a bike or car at some point.

If you like heritage you can also visit the Nuraghe Palamavera. Not far are the Sella & Mosca wine cellars to visit. A boat trip is also a good idea :-)

Have fun

Luca

Sardiniapass.com

Olbia
Level Contributor
601 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Alghero! A little help needed

@experiencedtraveler2

"If you contest the violation, the fine doubles! "

This is not exactly so. If I think that I have been wrongly fined, I will contest the fine and if the judge will rule against me I will pay at least double, it he rules in my favour I will pay nothing. One thing that can be done is to ask the local police that issued the fine to show you evidence eg. a photo that you entered the ztl. The best thing one can do is not to drive in the city centre.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 18:22
Hjoerring
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Alghero! A little help needed

Hi

We are going to La maddalena for holiday in primo august. How Can we go to Palau from Alghero airport, bus or train??

Tanks

Tina

Olbia
Level Contributor
601 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Alghero! A little help needed

Tina,

you can investigate getting to Palau from Alghero with the tourist trenino verde: treninoverde.com/…20Palau.html. From Alghero airport you need to get a bus to the centre and if I remember well also to the train station.

Try to send them an email to treninoverde@arst.sardegna.it to confirm.

The other option is to do Alghero-Sassari (train or coach) then Sassari-Tempio (coach or trenino verde) and Tempio-Palau (coach or trenino verde).

For coaches timetables you need to look at the ARST website: http://www.arstspa.info/a.html

Get answers to your questions about Alghero