We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How expensive is Alghero

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How expensive is Alghero

Hi i was hoping for some help, we are looking at going to Alghero for a holiday first two weeks of July. We are a family of four thinking of staying self catering which we usually do on one of the Greek islands. I keep hearing that Sardinia is really expensive!! We would look at shopping at supermarkets for breakfast and lunch then eating out just of an evening. Children are 16 and 2 love pasta and being on the beach.

So what I would like to know is how do the supermarket prices compare to prices in the uk or Greece?

How expensive is it to eat out?

Can you eat out for a reasonable budget say 60 euros per night?

What is the current price for petrol?

The beaches look gorgeous do you have to pay to go onto the beaches around Alghero?

Any other costs i have not thought to ask about?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Darren

Mentioned in this post
Alghero
Alghero
Sardinia, Italy
Greece
Greece
Europe
Prosciutteria Sant Miquel
££ - £££, Italian, Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Ristorante Villasole
££ - £££, Italian, Pizza, Seafood
Alghero, Italy
Level Contributor
564 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How expensive is Alghero

Hi Darren...sure you will survive in Alghero ;)

Petrol costs around 1,76 euro per liter. In lots of restaurants if you go for pizza you eat great and kids are happy. A pizza in a restaurant costs around from 5 to 7 euro for a margherita, a drink like coke 3 euro, cover charge around 1,50- 3 euro per person. All the beaches have umbrella and sunbeds for rent but you can go with your own umbrella and beachtowels for free in the free beaches (let's say that 70% of beach is free, 30% is by payment). Prices in supermarkets: 1 liter milk: 0,65-1,00 euro; 500gr brand pasta 70 cents, bread 3,00 euro per kg, sardinian cheese from 5 to 12 euro per kg, 100 gr of mortadella 5,00-9,00euro per kg. Italian ice cream in gelateria artigianale 2,00 euro (cone with 2 flavours) your kids will love it! Slice pizza in fast food pizzeria 1,20-,1,50 per slice. Hope this helps, if some other costs come to your mind, ask here again. Wish you gorgeous holidays with your family!

Mentioned in this post
Alghero
Alghero
Sardinia, Italy
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How expensive is Alghero

Alghero has a really cheap supermarket called Eurospin (think Aldi or Lidl) right on the central gardens, where you can stock up on breakfast food and picnic stuff for the beach very cheaply. There are also larger supermarkets with more choice and not expensive. The Sisas sell prepared food, hot and cold, including fresh made sandwiches for a couple of Euros.

All the beaches in and around Alghero are free, although you may need to pay for parking. As noted above you can rent chairs and umbrellas at many beaches, or bring your own. The flat may provide them. You can ask when you make your enquiry.

You can spend as much or as little as you want in the evening. Pizzas as noted can be very cheap, as is a plate of pasta. Alghero also has its share of high-end restaurants, including a Michelin 1 star.

Mentioned in this post
Alghero
Alghero
Sardinia, Italy
Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How expensive is Alghero

That's great news thank you both for the information it seems similar to what we pay in Greece. I have been looking for accommodation and think i have finally found somewhere just outside Alghero.

We are thinking of 17 nights as it just all looks so beautiful.

Are there any recommendations for car hire?

Thanks again for all your help

Darren

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Alghero
Alghero
Sardinia, Italy
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How expensive is Alghero

I usually go with the local company Sardinya as they generally work out cheapest and I'm dealing direct. Otherwise look at autoeurope as they often have good deals.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 13:26
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
776 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How expensive is Alghero

Hi, we're considering Sardinia for the first time and haven't looked into which area would be suitable yet. Like the original poster we always holiday in the Greek islands but have heard that Sardinia is really expensive. The examples of fst food and supermarket prices here are very helpful.

Apart from the traditional Pizza and pasta what else does Sardinia have to offer foodwise. Are there some cafes/restaurants that sell a mix of international foods and what sort of price are we talking about for a main meal in an average priced place to eat of an evening.

I'm also interested in the price of beer, wine and spirits in the bars please?

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: How expensive is Alghero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Alghero