We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please....RYANAIR?!?!?!

Preston, UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help please....RYANAIR?!?!?!

hi there,

we're booked to fly to Alghero in june with ryanair from liverpool.

just had notification today that they have changed the dates for the flights.

anyone on here fly with them regularly?? read quite a few bad reports and wanted to find out if many people have had problems with them on this route??

any advice very gratefully received.

thanks in advance.

micksw100

Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please....RYANAIR?!?!?!

micksw100,

I have heard many many people complain about Ryanair, but speaking personally, I have used the for 11 years now and have never once had cause to complain - Yes they are a bit sharp, but in my view, you will never get better value for money.

When the Liverpool route was first scheduled, from last October, it was listed to fly 3 times a week on a Monday, Thursday & Sunday. It would appear that for their summer schedule, they are retaining 3 flights a week but these now fly on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays.

I suspect that the reason has more to do with their convenience & profit than the convenience of their customers, but I have no doubt that in the 5 or 6 pages of bumph that accompanies the couple of lines of ticket information you printed off, there is something that says that they can do it and that there is nothing that you can do about it.

I'm afraid that you will have to take it on the chin if you want a cheap flight. Yes you can complain, but I wouldn't waste another moment of your time.

Good Luck.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,264 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please....RYANAIR?!?!?!

The reason they have changed to Saturday for the Summer season is that most holiday lets will only rent Saturday to Saturday for the high season. It is actually a benefit to customers that they are doing this.

As regular readers of my posts will know I don't share CentroStorico's positive view of Ryanair, and I wish a different airline flew to Alghero more than just once a week from the UK. I have taken to flying to Olbia with Easyjet and driving, so much do I want to avoid them after many years of loyal custom. I too have had many uneventful flights with them, but things have to go wrong just once, and a lifetime of savings can be wiped out.

On a recent trip back, the flight to Stansted was delayed by three hours by a mechanical fault. Clearly Ryanair's fault. This meant that despite leaving more than two hours to catch the last train home to the midlands, I missed it, and my wife had to make a four-hour round trip late in the evening. I lost my train ticket, had expenses for phone calls and petrol, not to mention my wife's time. I didn't even bother to try to claim from Ryanair. It would have been wasted effort and more cost. In total I figure it cost me over £70.

Most of the time it is OK, if a little hectic and unpleasant, but for a short flight people are generally willing to put up with it. Come to Alghero on Ryanair by all means, but buy robust travel insurance (NOT the insurance offered by Ryanair which is worthless). Check out moneysupermarket.com to compare what's on offer, and make sure you are well covered for cancellations and delays.

UK
Level Contributor
590 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please....RYANAIR?!?!?!

Like you I wish to avoid Ryanair so am looking at flights to Olbia and driving - how long does it take and which airlines are flying to Olbia next summer ?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,264 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please....RYANAIR?!?!?!

Look at www.whichbudget.com

Basically from the UK it's Easyjet. It should take no more than two hours to make the drive.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please....RYANAIR?!?!?!

Yes i too was a victim of ryan air :( i booked my flights to brussels for 2:30pm, and 3 weeks before depasrture, i was told this has been canceled and a flight has been rescheduled to 8pm. I called up to complain and they put me on the 6:30am flight. the night before the flight around 9pm they emailed to say this flight has now moved to 11:00am, so i arrive at stanstead airport for 8:30 and lo and behold the flight apparently took off at 6:30 as scheduled with only 6 people onboard!! there were around 30 of us stranded and they didnt offer any apologies and just said it was a message sent out in error and that there wasn't an 11:00am scheduled. and they had the cheek to say they emailed/texted everyone. not to be funny, but if only 6 people managed to make there flights, then they were the lucky ones who didnt check their emails. they had my mobile number has well, makes you think why they ask for it if they arent going to use it to notify you. ive flown with them many times before, but this was the first time this has happened to me. im more annyed that they kept changing our times for no reason!! people were angry as they had meetings in brussels that day. quite a few of us took the eurostar in, 13 hour wait is not pleasant! hoping to claim this back off insurance!!!

pheeew glad i got that off my chest!!!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please....RYANAIR?!?!?!

I wish that it could be easy jet rather than Ryanair, then I would'nt have to fly then 4 times a year when I go home etc.

Nothing good to say about then at all, their staff especially those at Stansted are the rudest on the Planet and have the way of speaking to you that goes, you've paid 1 cent for your ticket, what more do you want.

Have run-in with them 2 weeks ago when I came back from NY 5 days earlier and wanted to fly back to alghero earlier, no can do, they offered me a new ticket at £289 pounds..even thought the plane is empty.

I think there after sales service is non exsitant.. so what if there low cost, i'd rather pay more, a smiley face and a numbered seat on the plane!!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please....RYANAIR?!?!?!

Its simple, you can get a very cheap flight with them, but the plane resembles a minibus inside, very hard seats, but who cares.

However, if you have to cancel a flight or re-shedule one, dont change your ticket, instead just look for another date and make a fresh application. Its cheaper doing this method.

I once arrived 40 minutes before a flight and they would not let me board, and it had cost me £1, they insisted I pay £140 for the next days flight. I had no choice as I had paid for a hotel and car hire.However a motto to be remembered, take out insurence. I got my money back this way. There was nine other passengers late too due to a multiple pile up on the M1. Annoying, Ryan Air said they were aware of the incident but would not budge with compassion.

Spain
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please....RYANAIR?!?!?!

personally I wouldnt have been able to travel to half the places ive been to if it wasnt for ryanair and their cheap flights.they are a god send to me. yes the planes arent anything special and i wouldnt want to be on along flight with those seats.but for £15 (cheapest flight ive had with them) who cares.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please....RYANAIR?!?!?!

LG123, Like me you have had a few bargains, but I get confused when emails come saying no taxes, but when I go into the Ryanair site, I cannot find them

chorley
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please....RYANAIR?!?!?!

Hi Mick, we travelled to Alghero with Ryanair last year and had no problems at all. Because it was our first time we played it safe and jumped in a cab, but being more adventurous travelled by bus on the return journey. Ryanair is a total no frills outfit but their turn around time between landing and taking off again is so tight that I have never encountered delays. We are going to Alghero in April with them so I'll let you know if there are any problems. Hope this helps, Kathryn

Get answers to your questions about Alghero
Recent Conversations