We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Olbia with Kids?

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
466 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Olbia with Kids?

I know nothing about Olbia.

What would you see/do if you had only one day & the kids with you, ages 9 & 11 ? thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Olbia
Olbia
Sardinia, Italy
Glasgow
Level Contributor
777 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Olbia with Kids?

Oh Dear!! I wish there was something to say that you could see or do in Olbia but there really is nothing...................it is a small unattractive town with a few shops and restaurants.

I note you have only one day there, does this mean you are cruising the Mediterranean and it is a stop for a day, and thus you have no means of travelling out of Olbia? If you can get out of the town there are lots of places nearby. The Costa Smeralda to the North and some nice resorts like San Teodoro to the south; not far at all to drive but you you would need a car. I don't think public transport is very good but someone else could confirm that.

Having said all that I would think a trip on a train would be fun. We saw trains at Olbia station, and they looked charming with little frilly curtains at the windows.. The scenery in Sardinia is well wirth seeing. I know I have seen reference elsewhere on this site to rail travel, I would certainly consider that if I were you, the kids I am sure would find the trains quite quaint and it is a bit different. A trip on a foreign train...

Have fun whatever you do, Sardinia IS beautiful but Olbia isn't!!!

Mentioned in this post
Olbia
Olbia
Sardinia, Italy
Costa Smeralda
Costa Smeralda
Sardinia, Italy
San Teodoro
San Teodoro
Sardinia, Italy
Alghero
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Olbia with Kids?

catjammies,

I suspect that Susannah is correct & that you are on a cruise stopover in Olbia. It is an unattractive, industrial port city & has little to offer.

It is one of those places that if you are offered an excursion out of Olbia by the cruise company, it would be wise to take it.

Good Luck.

Mentioned in this post
Olbia
Olbia
Sardinia, Italy
The South (of the...
Level Contributor
466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Olbia with Kids?

Thanks for the advice.

It will be a cruise excursion that day -

or a day of rest on the boat!

4. Re: One Day in Olbia with Kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 16:28