We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily by Car

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
632 reviews
Sicily by Car

We had a very good experience with Sicily by Car in May 2017.

Checkin was very quick and easy and I had no hard sell when I produced my LCW cover document.

When we got to our car we found that our 2 cases would fit in the boot - it was an intermediate car with supposedly room for 5 passengers and 3 cases. The person at the rental returns said that all the cars had the same boot space and we'd have to move up a group ie pay more. However, we returned to the main office and the person there was much more helpful and took a number of keys for different cars and went with us to try and see which would be ok. Luckily our cases fitted in the first one we tried - a Citroen Cactus and so we changed to that, the paper work only taking about 5 minutes. The only downside was that the car wasnt clean outside and only had 3/4 fuel.

On our return, the checkin was very quick and easy and there was no quibble over the fuel which was just over 3/4 full.

Well done Sicily by Car we'd definitely use them again.

35 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Sicily by Car

I'll second that opinion. Rented from them at Palermo airport. Getting the car didn't take more than 15'. Returning it probably took 5'. The car was quite new (only 8000km), no scratches, no dents.

Two (small) issues: 1. the car wasn't exactly spotless clean when we got it and we returned it even dirtier which they didn't mind (couldn't find a carwash at our last two stops on the way to the airport). 2. the deposit blocked on the credit card was quite high (but they unblocked it in a couple of days after returning the car).

The rental price was a real bargain.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
116,519 posts
2. Re: Sicily by Car

Really avoid Sicily by Car, AutoEuropa, and if you do hire from this supplier, then carefully read every detail of your contract, Terms & Conditions.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
116,519 posts
3. Re: Sicily by Car

The bargain attracts, but in the end, could be very costly.

All that glitters is not gold!!

Vagabonda

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
632 reviews
4. Re: Sicily by Car

What experience is that based on?

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Sicily by Car

Haha, good one. Take a look at rentalcars dot com, one of the largest online brokers in the world. Sister company of booking dot com. They score companies based on real reviews from real people who rented from those companies for realz. Guess what? SicilybyCar ranks among the best.

I'm not here to promote any company, but I had ZERO problems with SicilybyCar (first time I rented from them), while I almost always had problems with Europcar - which seems to be promoted a lot on this forum. Unjustified charges that took months to reverse, deposits blocked for weeks after returning the car, etc.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
632 reviews
6. Re: Sicily by Car

Thanks for that - where can I find that on their website?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
41,227 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Sicily by Car

Do an advanced search here on Trip Advisor and you'll find thousands of complaints against these companies. I would say to just wait, you may be getting charges in the future that are linked to this rental. If you don't get any new charges you'll be one of the few who came out of a rental unscathed.

And none of us are here to promote any of these businesses. We just let you know which ones have serious issues and which are less known for these types of issues.

Donna

Edited: 15 June 2017, 11:52
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
116,519 posts
8. Re: Sicily by Car

Warning!!! Sicily by Car - Fraudulent Company. Do not use!:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18789…

I wish I had read the original post about the "Fraudulent... Sicily by Car” rather than the sanitized feedback on the “Rentalcars.com” website through whom I arranged the car hire with “Sicily by Car” in May 2015.

Vagabonda

County Dublin...
1 post
2 reviews
9. Re: Sicily by Car

Beware fictitious charges for made up damage!

We hired a Citroen C1 from this company, car appeared to have engine problems. Very difficult to contact anyone in the company, most phone numbers on hire contract were incorrect. Replaced car after inspection by mechanic who agreed that there was an engine problem. One month later charged 318 Euro for alleged damage to underside of the car (photo shows stone chip marks only on exhaust pipe), which

- would not cause loss of power (especially without noise increase)

- could have been present before/after our hire -no one examined the undercarriage, nor were we able to

- took charges from our credit card without our authorisation, after the car had been signed back in by car company with no damage from our part.

All attempts at contacting company with regards to these charges have not yielded any response.

Blatant con!!! Will not hire from this company again.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
116,519 posts
10. Re: Sicily by Car

Unfortunately there's no documentation on the car's condition at collection.

Undercarriage insurance requires extra insurance coverage, so that casts suspicion on this company if that was the damage they indicated.

You might attempt to contact your credit card company, and then dispute that charge.

Vagabonda

Reply to: Sicily by Car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted