We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights in Eastern Sicily -

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6 nights in Eastern Sicily -

Hi there!

I am planning a trip to Sicily with other 2 friends for 6 nights in eastern sicily.

We are flying to Catania next month and we'd like to 1. visit wineries, 2. spend some time at the beach, 3. see some of the historical cities in the area, 4. Maybe a day trip to mount etna too.

We're having a hard time to 1. Decide for our base ( taormina and syracusa?, catania only?, taormina and catania?)

2. Decide if we hire a car or use public transportation (none of us like the idea of visiting wineries and not drinking because of the driving, and some of us are a bit scared of windy roads)

3. Finally, decide for what kind of accomodation. Anyone with airbnb or agriturismo experience in the area?

I would really appreciate any recommendation!

5 replies to this topic
palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights in Eastern Sicily -

Hi. Siracusa is probably the most pleasant base in the east. You could split your stay between Siracusa and Taormina, if you prefer a scenic and beautiful historical smalltown, or Catania, if you prefer the vibe of a bigger and very lively an cient port city. But avoid a car in Catania. Agriturismi and wineries are usually located in the countryside, where no public transport go, and a car is necessary.

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights in Eastern Sicily -

Thanks for your reply, Biondo! We should be getting a car and will look for Airbnb's in Taormina and Siracusa. Could you tell me which drive is "easier", Catania Airport to Taormina or Catania Airport to Siracuse? Our flight leaves really early, so we are saving the easiest/shorter drive for the end of the trip.

I also found airbnbs in Taormina to be quite expensive, I was thinking if there any other small town nearby could be an alternative, as we would be driving anyway...

Gracie!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,486 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights in Eastern Sicily -

Welcome to Sicily ouiouinonon!

Since you plan to hire a car, then avoid Catania as a base.

See Etna and Etna wineries from Taormina, and also enjoy the beach.

You might visit wineries and the UNESCO Val di Noto towns from Siracusa.

It's about the same distance and driving conditions from the airport to either Taormina or Siracusa.

You might consider an agriturismo around Taormina.

https:/…86479127

And you might return the car the night prior your departure, and prearrange a transfer for an early flight.

It's very important to return the car during business hours, and then document the car's condition with a company representative.

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights in Eastern Sicily -

Thanks so much for your reply, Vagabonda! It is very informative!

Would you have any recommendation for a winery in the area to spend the night?

Grazie tante!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,486 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights in Eastern Sicily -

Prego ouiouinonon,

Assuming you were referencing a winery around the Etna area to spend the night, and not the Siracusa/Ragusa area, you might consider consider Azienda Agricola Scammacca del Murgo in Santa Venerina, or Azienda Vinicola Barone di Villagrande e Cantine in Milo.

Vagabonda

Reply to: 6 nights in Eastern Sicily -
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted