We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aeolian Islands

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Aeolian Islands

Based on previous feedback and reading this forum, I've come up with an itinerary for a trip in April.

4 nights in Castellamare

3 nights in Agrimento

3 nights in Siracusa

3 nights in Taormina

And now I'm looking for some suggestions for the last 5 nights before heading back to Palermo. The Aeolian Islands have me intrigued and was wondering how feasible this would be:

Take a morning ferry to Stromboli to do the volcano climb. One or two nights on Stromboli?

Go to Lipari, spend 3 nights there, with day trips to Vulcano and Salina.

Should I book lodging ahead of time, or will there be plenty of options on arrival? I would like to stay in a room with a balcony with nice views, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Aeolian Islands

In The Aeolian Islands, A September Song:

query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html…

Here, as elsewhere on the islands, the summer sun had dried and withered much of the flora, but the older lava flows were covered with ginestra, the yellow broom that flowers in April and May, when, according to Antonio, the air of Stromboli is heady with its perfume. If the Aeolians in late September, when the water is still summer warm, are perfect for swimmers, then spring is the time for hikers to come, when countless wildflowers are in bloom.

Late spring is a glorious time to visit the Aeolians!

frommers.com/destinations/…0777010001.html

The conquering hordes descend here in summer; with much overcrowding because of limited accommodations (hence, reservations are important). We prefer the less crowded times of late May, early June, and September.

Very feasible! I would consider the Stromboli trek after the first night, but that’s only my preference. Keep options open and trek Stromboli when the weather is good and the volcano is cooperating.

April is off season, so you may need reservations, only because some accommodations will still be closed.

Stromboli doesn’t have many accommodations.

La Sirenetta-Park Hotel is THE place to stay on Stromboli. Rooms have sea views and private terrace and the hotel is in a good location for walking the volcano.

La Sirenetta-Park Hotel:

http://www.lasirenetta.it/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194927-d238461…

Lipari will be a good base with the best ferry connections.

Consider visiting Salina from Stromboli. Salina is close to Stromboli, and Vulcano is closer to Lipari

Hotel Villa Enrica would be an excellent choice on Lipari. Villa Enrica has unsurpassed views and offers a shuttle from the port. All rooms have private bathroom, and patios with sea or garden view.

Hotel Villa Enrica:

www.aeoliancharme.com/villaenrica/index.html

vulcanoconsult.it/villa_enrica_country_resor…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g194798-d613…

Vagabonda

2. Re: Aeolian Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 12:20