We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electrical Outlets in Sicily

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Electrical Outlets in Sicily

I am leaving for Sicily in one week and I am wondering if I should buy an electrical converter to make sure that all my things like my straightning iron, my cell phone charger, my ipod charger, and things along those lines will work in the various hotels that I will be staying at.

Thanks for all of your help!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Electrical Outlets in Sicily

I don't think your equipment will work without one.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electrical Outlets in Sicily

If I'm reading the manuals correctly, most chargers - if they're listed as 110-240V should work without a converter. But they'll still need an adapter. And other electrical appliances, like the straightening iron, will in all likelihood require a converter.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,699 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Electrical Outlets in Sicily

Check your chargers. If they say 120/250 volts and 50/60 Hz, they will work in Italy. If your gadget only says 120v/60Hz, you will need a voltage converter to charge them. You will still need the adaptor that will allow you to plug into the electrical outlet. You will need an adaptor with two round prongs.

Converters and adaptors can be purchased in any travel store or online.

Magellan’s Adaptor Plugs & Converter:

magellans.com/store/…

Be sure to also check with your cell phone provider before leaving home to make sure that your phone will work in Italy. You may have to update your contract to allow foreign use.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,699 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Electrical Outlets in Sicily

Electricity:

frommers.com/destinations/…0771020157.html

-- The electricity in Sicily varies considerably. It's usually alternating current (AC); the cycle is 50Hz 220V. Check the exact local current at the hotel where you're staying. We recommend obtaining a transformer if you're carrying any electrical appliances. Plugs have prongs that are round, not flat; therefore, an adapter plug is also needed.

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Electrical Outlets in Sicily

Thank you so much for all your help, I now know what I am looking for.

6. Re: Electrical Outlets in Sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 13:19