We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taormina or Letojanni?

Norwich, Norfolk
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Taormina or Letojanni?

I'm thinking of going to Sicily in mid September with my young adult daughter before she goes off traveling. Please can anyone advise whether we'd be best staying in Taormina or Letojanni. We're neither of us keen on anywhere too touristy and prefer local flavour. Are they both well served with public transport? I'm not sure I fancy trying my hand at driving round hairpin bends on the wrong side of the road!

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Da Massimo Dolce Vita Group
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Gozzo Christian
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Cerasella
Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Day Trips
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taormina or Letojanni?

What's wrong side of the road is very subjective Flossywossydooda! :-)

Both Taormina and Letojanni are touristy.

Taormina is significantly more beautiful and offers many more hotel and restaurant options. Letojanni has a nice enough beach and its proximity to Taormina makes it attractive, but there is a lot of new construction lacking charm and there are many package tour groups who visit. Letojanni is 15 minutes by bus from Taormina.

They are both served by public transportation - trains and buses, and Taormina also has a cable car that connects it to the beaches in Mazzaro.

If you prefer local flavour, neither may be the right destination for you!!

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Norwich, Norfolk
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taormina or Letojanni?

Thanks Vagabonda.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taormina or Letojanni?

I share your lack of enthusiasm for touristy locations, and for that reason only stayed two nights in Taormina. While it's obvious that the town's economy is based almost entirely on tourism, it's still a remarkably beautiful place and the setting is spectacular.

One nice aspect of its touristiness (I know it's not a word) is that it's the only place I heard any Italian style music. The restaurants and pizzerias in every other town played the same music I hear in the states.

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taormina or Letojanni?

Were the other towns tourist destinations or more local towns?

Vagabonda

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taormina or Letojanni?

I suppose they were more tourist destinations - Castellemmare, Agrigento, Ortygia, Lipari, Stromboli, Cefalu. But I tried to make a point of stopping off for a beer or granita at other places, as well. Corleone, Castelbuono, Alcamo, Borghetto and a couple others whose names I can't pull up right now. Not all had music playing, but it seemed that the more local young folks around, the more likely I'd hear the same kind of music I hear on the radio when I'm driving my kids around at home.

Admittedly, my sample was very small; I just remember noticing the sounds of the accordion and mandolin only in Taormina. Very different from the last time I was in Italy 35 years ago.

Stromboli was particularly disappointing in that regard; there was a Village Feast the one night I was there. It was right in front of my hotel. I had to listen to very loud, mind numbing noise of the type that I really dislike until 1:30 AM. Not what I had hoped for after getting back from a challenging volcano hike. But it was obvious that the locals were having a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Taormina
Taormina
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,886 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taormina or Letojanni?

Yes, Castellemmare, Agrigento, Ortygia, Lipari, Stromboli, and Cefalu are more tourist destinations, but Corleone, Castelbuono, Alcamo, and Borghetto aren’t as much so.

Tourists want Old Italian music – the accordion and mandolin. They want to hear the music of their grandparent’s generation, or the Sicily of old movies that they remember. You are not the first tourist who has made this comment. Italians respond that this was the music of their grandparents – Old Italian rural folk music. Funny, the same tourists want Sicily to change, and be “new” and move into the future, and be progressive. The young of Sicily are pretty much like the youth anywhere else, and in this age of information and computers, they listen to what your kids listen to in Washington DC.

Italy music charts displaying the top downloaded tunes in Italy:

www.searcheurope.com/music/italy_charts.php

You can still hear folk music – just not so easily. During many of the small traditional rural festivals, the local traditional music is played. Sicilian folk music can be religious, or harvest and work songs of the Sicilian peasants and fishermen. Actually, I have heard more folk music in the Apenini Mountains of Italy, where the people of many rural areas are cutting CDs of their valley’s music for preservation so it won’t be lost forever.

Italian Folk Music:

pbs.org/pov/…special_excerpt_italy.html

Even in Sicily, time move on - slowly!

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
7. Re: Taormina or Letojanni?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 16:19