We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in Sicily end of August beg Sepember

Bulgaria
2 posts
Save Topic
weather in Sicily end of August beg Sepember

Dear Sicilians or friendsof Sicily who have visited this nice place PLEASE HELP!

I need advice - I heard that in August is very hot with terrible sand coming from Africa....

I am planning a visit from 28 of August - pls tell me if that is the case....

thanks a lot

appreciated

Dora

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,959 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in Sicily end of August beg Sepember

Sicily is hot in August – August will be hot and dry!

On average, August is the hottest month in Palermo.

Though on average, the hottest month in Catania is July, temperatures in August still range from 66-89F/19-32C.

Palermo’s Averages:

weather.com/outlook/…

Catania’s Averages:

weather.com/outlook/…

Southern and western regions (closer to Africa) usually are typically hotter and drier, but also more susceptible to the sirocco winds from Northern Africa.

Sirocco events tend to occur year-round, but the sirocco is most pronounced in the spring.

The temperatures between west and east are not significant enough to alter itineraries. Sicily's mountainous interior has lower temperatures, and the top of Etna will be cold!!

In September, temperatures are generally mild; averaging between 62 and 84 Fahrenheit, and it’s not fully in to the rainy season yet. Waters are still warm for swimming after the summer's heat.

April to June and late September to October are the best months for travelling in Sicily.

Vagabonda

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in Sicily end of August beg Sepember

Hi Dora,

if you are coming at the end of August (from the 28) there is no need to worry about the heat.

Yes July and August can be very hot 38 - 40 C and dry but usually from the last week of August it gets a bit better, and average temperature are between 30 - 36 C.

About 'terrible sand from Africa' I don't know what you mean. I am from the souther coast of Sicily right opposite Africa and as far as I remember the only african sand we see is the one brought in by clouds, sometime (not always) at the end of spring.

As Vagabonda pointed out September is one of the best months to visit Sicily, not too crowded and not too hot.

Enjoy! Salvo

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,959 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in Sicily end of August beg Sepember

Exactly – end of August and into September will be less hot and the sirocco occurs more in the spring and more in western Sicily.

Vagabonda

Bulgaria
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in Sicily end of August beg Sepember

Thank you all for your quick reply and very useful help. You are great!

I will keep you posted on my experience in Sicily :-)

Dora

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in Sicily end of August beg Sepember

Hi

I normally use http://www.weatherbase.com for weather stats :-) Have a great trip.

Regards

Gard

6. Re: weather in Sicily end of August beg Sepember

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 10:16