We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some advice please

Rocksonhead
2 posts
Save Topic
Some advice please

I am planning a weeks long trip to Sicily later this year, flying in and out of Trapani, and hiring a car.

I want to explore as much as possible and also do some short walks, but it is a question how far I can get in one day.

A main factor is to limit the number of places to stay in, I am not fond of leaving all my belongings in a car, even if they are not in sight in the boot!

However this has to be balanced with being able to see as much as possible, so my current thoughts are to spend

2 nights around agrigento

3 nights around siracusa

2 nights back around Trapani, last night needs to be close to airport as would have morning flight back.

One of the days spent at siracusa would be to see etna.

I know I am leaving out the majority of the North, but I do not believe it is possible to get up there in 7 days.

Also is Palermo worth a visit if I have been to Agrigento and Siracusa?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,650 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Some advice please

Palermo is quite different from Agrigento and Siracusa and worth a visit, but again, you won’t be able to see everything. Possibly consider Palermo on another trip when you visit northern Sicily.

What time will you arrive in Trapani? Is it early in the day so you won’t need to stay in Trapani on your first night? – It’s always best to cluster your nights; so your last two night could be in Trapani.

Check driving routes, maps and distances and times on ViaMichelin.

ViaMichelin:

viamichelin.com/viamichelin/…MaHomePage.htm

Vagabonda

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some advice please

Hi Rocksonhead,

one week to get a cross Sicily is not much, consider that from Trapani to Siracusa (via Agrigento and Ragusa) and back is 760km, without counting the km you would do exploring, but it can be done.

I like your plan, and it sounds that you have good idea of what you want.

Day 1: Pick up car and drive to Selinunte to visit the Greek Town and Sciacca before drive to Agrigento for 2 nights.

Day 2: Visit Valley of the Temples in the morning and Eraclea Minoia and Scala dei Turchi (Realmonte) in the afternoon.

Day 3: drive to Siracusa via the Baroque Towns (Ragusa, Modica and Noto) and stay 3 nights.

Day 4: Drive to Etna and trekking.

Day 5: visit/explore Siracusa, Ortigia, Greek Theatre and Archeological Park.

Day 6: long drive to Trapani (from Siracusa 365km) for 2 nights. Stop in Cefalu' for lunch, and Castellammare del Golfo is on the way.

Day 7: Visit Segesta, Trapani and Erice.

Day 8: Return the car and fly back home.

Which are your main intrests? There are many other things/places to see but without knbowing your priorities is hard to suggest.

What do you think? If you hate it just say it, I wont get offended ;-)

Salvo

Rocksonhead
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Some advice please

Thanks you both for your replies.

Hopefully getting into Trapani mid morning, so want to do something in the afternoon before conking out, due to having to get up at 2am ;)

Sal, I think you have WAY too much time on your hands, but thank you very much! Its about what I had in mind, visiting the main sights along the south coast.

Though I had no idea about realmonte! Is it a section of coast of outstanding natural beauty ?

The drive back to Trapani was a question mark. With Piazza Armerina, Palermo or a winery tour if there was one on route...... Though was trying to avoid Palermo so I would not have to try and find a parking space !!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,650 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Some advice please

With a mid-morning arrival, you should be able to visit Selinunte and Sciacca on your way to Agrigento.

Yes, the coast at Scala dei Turchi has outstanding beauty – beach and white cliffs.

Scala dei Turchi:

http://www.scaladeiturchi.com/

trekearth.com/gallery/…

Since you have allocated two nights for Trapani, consider only spending one night in the Trapani area and one night en route from Siracusa to break up the long drive.

From Siracusa, stop in Cefalu as suggested by Sal, but spend the night around Santa Flavia at Villa Cefala.

Villa Cefala:

http://www.tenutacefala.it/

karenbrown.com/Accommodations/…00003879.php

budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/…AR2007052901264.html

www.farm-holidays-sicily.com/pagina.cfm…

http://www.bed-and-breakfast

sicily.it/pagina.cfm?ID=699&p=Palermo

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g680046-d281889…

Visit the ruins at Solunto and also visit the Duca di Salaparuta winery in Casteldaccia.

Enjoy David_Malta’s photos!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2142…

Duca di Salaparuta winery is about 1 hour east of Palermo.

The tour at Duca di Salaparuta is informative and excellent.

Duca di Salaparuta:

http://www.duca.it/flash/index.html

vinicorvo.it/flash/…visitacantine.pdf

Next morning, circle around Palermo, see Monreale and Segesta and spend your last night in Erice.

Avoid Piazza Armerina this year – the restorations continue at Villa Romana.

Sicily in October:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2062…

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

5. Re: Some advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 08:16