We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week trip to Sicily

NY
3 posts
Save Topic
2 week trip to Sicily

Feeling overwhelmed as what I should see when I am in Sicily...any reccomendations of "must see". I wll be stayinging about 1 hour outside Palermo and want to make the most of this trip. Any suggestions would be great.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week trip to Sicily

Hi Teenie05,

there are many 'must see' in Sicily and with two weeks you should be able to see most of the main places.

The 'must see' West of Palermo are: Monreale, Segesta and Erice.

South: Selinute and the 'Valley of the Temples'

East of Palermo: Cefalu' and the Aeolian Islands

On the East coast of Sicily: Taormina, Etna and Siracusa.

and the South-East of Sicily with its Baroque Towns Ragusa Ibla, Modica and Noto.

There are many other sites that deserve to be mentioned and you could spend both weeks just on the west side of the island but you need give us some more info to help you and suggest. Will you be based in the same place for the two weeks? Will you have a car? Which are your main intrests?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week trip to Sicily

Assuming you will arrive and depart in Palermo.

Sal is correct....

When will you visit?

Will you hire a car?

Where will you be staying – Cefalu, Castellammare????

What do you enjoy seeing and doing?

Will you spend all 2 weeks in one base and take day trips, or will you expect to do some touring and moving around?

In addition to Sal’s excellent list of must-see destinations, allow time to just experience and “feel” Sicily – its people, food, wineries, culture and way of life.

Vagabonda

NY
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week trip to Sicily

Thank you both for getting back to me....I will be leaving this Sunday..August 10 and returning back to NY August 25. We will be staying with family in a little town called Alimena (1 hour outside of Palermo)the whole time but I am open to hiring a car and have them take us around to break the trip up Any good cars/tour company for hire reccomedation? I would love to go to Taorima and Mt Etna and possiably Trapani as I have family there as well. As we will be staying with family I will get first hand experience of day to day living which I am sure will be wonderful. Thank you for all your help. I just feel so unprepared because I have no set plan..but I am hoping to wing it when I get there...what do you guys think?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week trip to Sicily

So you will have a full 14 nights in Sicily and 2 travel days – very nice!

Also how sweet to be staying with family – what a wonderful opportunity to visit with family and connect with your roots. Good that you don’t have a plan – your family will take care of you, feed you, and your plan would have never been used anyway. You’ll see what I mean when you arrive!! :-)

Alimena is a rural little town just south of the Madonies. It has a very good central location for touring and it’s not too far from the autostrada (A19), so quite convenient for day trips.

Alimena:

http://www.comunealimena.com/

www.aapit.pa.it/datad/comuni/comunea.asp…

www.palermo-sicilia.it/english/alimena.htm

en.comuni-italiani.it/082/002/index.html

…indettaglio.it/eng/sicilia/alimena.html

Some distances and driving times from Alimena:

Cefalu: 73km 00h55

Palermo: 102km 01h15

Agrigento: 97km 01h27

Taormina: 176km 01h55

Mount Etna: 166km02h25

Trapani: 211km 02h24

AutoEurope is a very reliable broker for many different car rental agencies and offers lower prices than booking directly with the agency (if their price is not lower, they will meet the lower price you find). Cefalu or Palermo would be the closest locations to Alimena.

AutoEurope:

www.autoeurope.com/index.cfm…

Check all driving routes, maps and estimated driving times and distances on ViaMichelin.

ViaMichelin:

viamichelin.com/viamichelin/…MaHomePage.htm

In addition to where you would like to visit (Taormina, Etna and Trapani), with a base in central Sicily, you could explore Enna, the hill towns of the Madonie Mountains, Caccamo, Alia, Agrigento and the Valley of the Temples, Villa Romana (though under restoration this year) and Piazza Armerina, Morgantina, Caltagirone, Cefalu, Solunto, Halaesa, Santo Stefano di Camastra, Palermo, Mondello, Ustica, and Monreale.

Such potential for a fantastic holiday – enjoy!

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

NY
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week trip to Sicily

Thank you Vagabonda!!! I was thinking the same thing...sometimes no plan is the best plan. I will post the details of my trip upon my return. Many thanks again.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,420 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week trip to Sicily

In this case, no plan is the best plan Teenie05. Your family will have plans you would have never even though about, and they will know best where to take you and what to show you, and it will be meaningful to you both.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday!

Vagabonda

7. Re: 2 week trip to Sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 01:17