We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice needed re accommodation in sicily

ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
advice needed re accommodation in sicily

hi, Im looking for any advice anyone can give me!

While booking apartments recently in Sicily it seemed that it was quite common to put a deposit on a place by lodging money into their bank account instead of paying online by credit card. At first I was a bit cautious of doing this as there was no guarantee that they wouldn't run off with your money once lodged and never hear from them again. BUt as it seemed to be quite common, I thought well maybe its ok. So I eventually found an aprtment in Taormina and lodged €210 (deposit - half of total cost) into the owners account. He did give me his phone number and address of the apartment before I lodged the money. But since I lodgged it, I've emailed him and have been ringing and his phone is always off - have I been fleeced??? Im worried now that we'll have no place to stay once we get there.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal and should I be worried???

Thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,183 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: advice needed re accommodation in sicily

It’s hard to say. It’s important to rent accommodations that are listed with reputable agencies – Homelidays, Owners Direct, Holiday Lettings…

It is August and Italians are on holiday, so it may all be fine, but you will need to investigate more.

Where and what apartment?

Vagabonda

ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice needed re accommodation in sicily

it was through a reputable company, i think there were links to it from two different agencies, can't remember the names. but since i posted this forum this mornin I was able to contact him so I think it should be ok.

but its always a worry as there is nothing to prevent that kind of thing happening once the money is paid out.

but thank you.

:)

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice needed re accommodation in sicily

For which time of the year did you book? For how long? Yes, some people require a deposit but €210 sounds like a small price for a place in Taormina during the summer, unless you booked for low-season or for just few days then it could be right.

The webpage below has B&Bs in Taormina, have a look at the prices:

www.bed-and-breakfast.it/citta.cfm…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,183 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: advice needed re accommodation in sicily

It does appear you will be fine. Agencies generally screen their listings and at least you have some recourse through the agencies if need be.

Always try to get a confirmation in writing. Even some documentation prior to paying out the cash would be helpful - showing a history of contact should things not work out later.

This just seems to be a case of slow Sicilian style.

Buona fortuna!

Vagabonda

5. Re: advice needed re accommodation in sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 11:24