We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Vito lo Capo o Cefalu?

Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
San Vito lo Capo o Cefalu?

I am planning a roughly one-week trip to Sicily for the latter part of May.

Originally, I wanted to go to San Vito lo Capo for the beautiful beach and to soak up the atmosphere in a nice little town. However, it looks like it would impractical to go there because it is quite far from most of the places i want to visit. (Are there day trips from Palermo?)

Someone I know suggested Cefalu as an alternative destination, saying that it is also nice place with a nice beach. It is much closer to my other points of interest, which would shorten travel time greatly. Other postings make Cefalu sound like a nice place to visit, but could you compare and contrast it with San Vito lo Capo?

Incidentally, here are the constraints of my trip:

Thu 21: Fly into Palermo late in day.

Fri 22: Explore Palermo & Monreale.

Sat 23 to Wed 27: Want to visit S.Vito or Cefalu, Piazza Armerina, Villa Romana del Casale, Mt. Etna, Taormina.

Thu 28: Arrive at hotel near Palermo airport.

Fri 29: Early morning flight out of Palermo to continue vacation.

I am not driving, so I'll be relying on bus, train, and taxi to get around. Also, I don't speak Italian, but I'm trying to learn using Fluenz Italian.

Grazie!

Italy - Udine
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Vito lo Capo o Cefalu?

if you rent a car you can visit both this places, I in 5 days have visited: san vito lo capo, erice, scopello, cefalù, trapani, mondello, riserva dello zingaro, monreale...

Neccesary is rent a car!!

I advise to make:

- 21 palermo

- 22 palermo e monreale

- 23 san vito

- 24 cefalù, and after the visit you can go to taormina ecc...

ops...now I read that you don't drive...mmmm...pubblic trasport are very few

mmm...so, maybe is better cefalù, because so you are on the way to go to taormina...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,699 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Vito lo Capo o Cefalu?

Welcome to Sicily tripadviseeCanada!

With an hour’s drive up Sicily’s northwestern headland, San Vito isn’t a good base for touring.

Palermo is about a two hour’s drive from San Vito. Most arrive at this beach resort town to enjoy the sea and relax, not tour.

…sanvitolocapo.tp.it/inglese/cosa_fare.htm

San Vito and Cefalu are very different towns.

San Vito is primarily a beach resort with one of the nicest beaches in Sicily.

Cefalu is a town (with services), a train station, and easy access to Palermo. It has an historic centre and this summer, Cefalu will have the added advantage of hydrofoil service to the Aeolians.

With Piazza Armerina, Mount Etna and Taormina on your list of destinations, Cefalu just makes more sense - San Vito would pull you in the opposite direction!

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Vito lo Capo o Cefalu?

Hello Agnese81 and Vagabonda!

Thank you for your responses. I will take your advice and choose Cefalù as a destination rather than San Vito. I expect that will make my trip planning quite a bit easier!

I do have a couple of other questions.

Is the restoration work finished for La Villa Romana? From some other posts, it sounds like La Villa Romana is open. I tried to check on http://www.villaromanadelcasale.it/ too, but I don't have the necessary language skills to read that much Italian.

I had read some posts in some travel forums about "learning how to cross the street in Palermo". Is it really tricky to walk around Palermo?

Grazie! :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,699 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Vito lo Capo o Cefalu?

The Villa Romana del Casale is about 70-80% re-opened - So it’s now very much worth a visit.

There are only three areas still not completed, but still visible – The children’s rooms, the Basilica, and the owner’s bedrooms.

The Villa had a Plexiglas covering resulting in high levels of humidity that were detrimental to the mosaics – The restorations involved the removal of the Plexiglas and the addition of new wooden coverings.

Piazza Armerina:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2170…

Palermo’s like any other large city with crazy traffic!

Vagabonda

London, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Vito lo Capo o Cefalu?

Just to add to what has already been said. I have been to both places with and without a car & would have to agree that Cefalu would be my first choice as it has more in the way of immediate services around you, like the train station, cafes, restaurants etc etc. Don,t get me wrong San Vito Lo Capo beach is lovely & I go there quiet a lot but only for the beach as I find the resort services very poor especially the food. I have eaten there before & I wasn,t impressed to say the least.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,699 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San Vito lo Capo o Cefalu?

Hi ianc – Spot on!

Cefalu has more in the way of services, and San Vito has a lovely beach, but not the best restaurants.

And logistically, Cefalu is clearly the better option.

Vagabonda

Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Vito lo Capo o Cefalu?

Ciao ianc e Vagabonda!

Thank you for your observations. Initially, I was a bit disappointed that San Vito lo Capo wasn't going to be a practical choice as part of my itinerary. Now, I am feeling quite good about choosing Cefalù instead. Perhaps if I visit Sicily again in the future, and have enough time in the schedule, I could visit San Vito. But for now, given the time constraints and the level of my Italian language skills, Cefalù makes so much more sense.

To sum up:

On Sat 23 to Wed 27, I plan to visit Piazza Armerina & Villa Romana del Casale (1 day), Taormina (2 days), and Cefalù (2 days). On one of those days, I plan on a day trip to Mount Etna. That day trip would most likely be from Taormina.

Basically, I'm now just deciding whether to go from Palermo to Piazza Armerina, then Taormina, then Cefalù... or to go the other direction and first spend the weekend in Cefalü, before travelling on to Taormina and Piazza Armerina. I think that either way will be fine, as long as there are no issues travelling from Piazza Armerina to Taormina on a Sunday.

Until I learn how to say "Thanks Again!", I'll just say...

Grazie!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,699 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: San Vito lo Capo o Cefalu?

Ciao tripadviseeCanada,

Cefalu does make more sense than San Vito and you now have a reason to return!

Since May is early in the beach season, one day would really suffice in Cefalu. Add a day to Siracusa.

Taormina is a good base for visiting Mount Etna - Spend two days in Taormina and visit Etna from Taormina.

Kind Regards,

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,699 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: San Vito lo Capo o Cefalu?

Also, consider beginning in Cefalu directly from the airport - It's inefficient to split a destination.

Cluster your visit to Palermo at the end of your holiday to position you for your departing flight - It's beetr use of your time.

Vagabonda

Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: San Vito lo Capo o Cefalu?

Ciao Vagabonda!

Thank you for your help. I will take your advice and take a day in Siracusa instead of a second day in Cefalù.

Even though it would be more efficient to cluster Palermo at the end, on the day before my flight, I plan to bypass most of Palermo and check into a hotel closer to the airport, in Terrasini. My flight is brutally early in the morning, and I want to catch that plane so that later on that day I can make it from Fiumicino to Civitavecchia in time to start a cruise. So, I will do my Palermo sightseeing at the beginning.

Now I'm deciding which way to go.

Option A:

Thursday 21 fly into Palermo.

Friday 22 explore Palermo & Monreale.

Saturday 23 head to Cefalù and spend the night.

Sunday 24 head to Taormina, spending 2 nights there, and fitting in a trip to Mt. Etna.

Tuesday 26 head to Siracusa and stay the night.

Wednesday 27 head to Piazza Armerina and also visit Villa Romana del Casale.

Thursday 28 head to hotel in Terrasini

Friday 29 fly out EARLY.

Option B:

Thursday 21 fly into Palermo.

Friday 22 explore Palermo & Monreale.

Saturday 23 head to Piazza Armerina and also visit Villa Romana del Casale.

Sunday 24 head to Siracusa and stay the night.

Monday 25 head to Taormina, spending 2 nights there, and fitting in a trip to Mt. Etna.

Weednesday 27 head to Cefalù and spend the night.

Thursday 28 head to hotel in Terrasini

Friday 29 fly out EARLY.

Once I decide on direction of travel, then I'll have to research bus routes, to make sure that I can get from town to town.

I can't seem to find Cefalù, Taormina, or some other places on http://www.saistrasporti.it/

On the AST website, it appears that the latest schedules are winter 2008. I'm assuming that's what "ORARI INVERNALI IN VIGORE DAL 15.09.2008" means. The other choice is "ORARI ESTIVI IN VIGORE DAL 09.06.2008". There appears to be service between Palermo and Cefalù (though looks like need to make a change of bus), and between Siracusa and Piazza Armerina.

I can't seem to find what buses go to and from Taormina, and a bus between Palermo and P. Armerina.

Is there another website I can look up? If it has an English page, that would be even better. :)

Grazie!